SUNY or NECO?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

springfugue

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I've been seeing a lot of these posts lately, but I truly need help on deciding which one of these two schools I should attend. I recently got accepted to both SUNY and NECO, and my deadline for committing to one of these schools is quickly approaching. During the day of the interview, I got a much warmer feeling from SUNY, and I felt like the student body was a lot closer overall. I also really liked the faculty members that interviewed me, and I felt like SUNY had more of a "tightly knit community" type feel within the student body and with faculty members compared to NECO. However, NECO really emphasized their clinical network during the interview and how their students get a ton of clinical exposure, which I really liked. I got offered the same amount of scholarship from both schools, so my tuition would be approximately the same for both schools. One thing that worries me is that MA is a really strict state in terms of scope of optometry. For instance, the state doesn't allow optometrists to manage and treat glaucoma. I was wondering if this would be a big issue and affect the kind of education I'd be getting at NECO. Also if anyone has heard anything positive or negative of either of these schools, please let me know! I am truly torn 50/50 between the two schools, so any input would be helpful.

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi! I really think it comes down to what environment you feel the most comfortable in if finance is not an issue. Where do you think you'll be most happy at for the next 4 years? In terms of clinical experience, that is something you could get more of if it's something you value more by pursuing a residency after graduating! Education wise, both schools are fantastic and have great board pass rates so I really don't think you'll be missing out on anything regardless of which one you choose. One thing that really sold me on SUNY is the diversity of the patient population we'll have the opportunity to work with. I really think purely in regards to exposure, we'll have very high chances of seeing rare ocular conditions from the influx of patients all throughout the heart of Manhattan! I'm biased though and didn't apply to NECO either so I can't speak for them, but I hope to see you next year! You'll be a great optometrist no matter which school you decide on :nod:.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi guys,

I've been seeing a lot of these posts lately, but I truly need help on deciding which one of these two schools I should attend. I recently got accepted to both SUNY and NECO, and my deadline for committing to one of these schools is quickly approaching. During the day of the interview, I got a much warmer feeling from SUNY, and I felt like the student body was a lot closer overall. I also really liked the faculty members that interviewed me, and I felt like SUNY had more of a "tightly knit community" type feel within the student body and with faculty members compared to NECO. However, NECO really emphasized their clinical network during the interview and how their students get a ton of clinical exposure, which I really liked. I got offered the same amount of scholarship from both schools, so my tuition would be approximately the same for both schools. One thing that worries me is that MA is a really strict state in terms of scope of optometry. For instance, the state doesn't allow optometrists to manage and treat glaucoma. I was wondering if this would be a big issue and affect the kind of education I'd be getting at NECO. Also if anyone has heard anything positive or negative of either of these schools, please let me know! I am truly torn 50/50 between the two schools, so any input would be helpful.

Thanks in advance!
What did you end up choosing?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi guys,

Thanks in advance!
do you mind sharing your stats?

does anyone know or has anyone calculated how many questions for part 1 you can get wrong and still pass?