SUNY text books

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ivanjomon

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dear friends,
Anybody knows the textbooks SUNY is following for General Histology, Biochemistry, and Geometrical and physical optics? Is there any text book for Optometry 1 for Suny?
ivan

Members don't see this ad.

There are no required books first quarter at SUNY. The anatomy atlas is useful, maybe the histology atlas, but that's the extent of it.

Wow, don't worry about that now. Enjoy the time off. Seriously, you're going to have no life when you get here and you'll be studying plenty. Take it easy now. Go travel, have fun

Members don't see this ad :)
i was once that anxious:)

the thing you should worry about first is finding somewhere to live. that was the WORST.

I'll be selling my Histo book this summer.. let me know if you are interested.. you can have first dibs before I email your class in August!

i was once that anxious:)

the thing you should worry about first is finding somewhere to live. that was the WORST.

Is it really that hard to find a decent place? (for a decent price?)
SUNY adviser told me that a lot of students end up living in Queens and commuting to the school, but I also heard that Queens is a pretty run down part of NY. Any thoughts?

SUNY adviser told me that a lot of students end up living in Queens and commuting to the school, but I also heard that Queens is a pretty run down part of NY. Any thoughts?

Well Queens is a big place.. there's some better areas and there's some areas you NEVER want to visit...

A Queens/Brooklyn commute can be as long, longer or even shorter than a commute from within the city depending on location so bear that in mind. You'll find a place, don't worry.. housing day helps, you'll get a lot of good info from the upperclassman.

Good luck!

really depends on which part of Queens. Please note that Queens is like the size of Manhattan. I live in Queens, and my area is clean and safe. Though there are areas where you shouldn't be walking around without an entourage of bodyguards.
Look for apts in the east side of Queens rather than the west.

thanks for the advice, it really helps out :)
I may possibly see you on campus this sept ;)

thanks for the advice, it really helps out :)
I may possibly see you on campus this sept ;)

The only textbooks that I would recommend for students to purchase would be visual perception and anatomy. All else you can do without, including clinical books.

If you are desireous of purchasing clinical books for use in a practice one day, you should purchase them in your 4th year along with the first year class when all the silly 1st years are buying up books that will have 3 new editions to them by the time they graduate.

Yeah, I guess it was all the worse for me because I was determined to live in Manhattan. I definitely recommend living there if you can, I love it. (Plus, the 3am cab rides are so much cheaper).

I have a 2br available in June;)

The only textbooks that I would recommend for students to purchase would be visual perception and anatomy. All else you can do without, including clinical books.

If you are desireous of purchasing clinical books for use in a practice one day, you should purchase them in your 4th year along with the first year class when all the silly 1st years are buying up books that will have 3 new editions to them by the time they graduate.

I'd probably disagree. I definitely recommend you get the Anatomy and Visual Perception books, but also Will's Eye Manual, and one of the Clinical Ophthalmology atlases.. something like Spalton or Kanski during 2nd or 3rd year. It's nice to have as a reference. A lot of pictures are available online but the texts are still very useful.

I'd probably disagree. I definitely recommend you get the Anatomy and Visual Perception books, but also Will's Eye Manual, and one of the Clinical Ophthalmology atlases.. something like Spalton or Kanski during 2nd or 3rd year. It's nice to have as a reference. A lot of pictures are available online but the texts are still very useful.

All of those textbooks are available in the library for reference whenever needed. If you purchase Wills Eye and/or Spalton or Kanski during your 2nd year, you can pretty much bet that there will be new editions by the time you graduate.

As such I still recommend that students use the schools copies during their training and if desired, purchase books during your 4th year or residency to use in your future offices.

All of those textbooks are available in the library for reference whenever needed. If you purchase Wills Eye and/or Spalton or Kanski during your 2nd year, you can pretty much bet that there will be new editions by the time you graduate.

As such I still recommend that students use the schools copies during their training and if desired, purchase books during your 4th year or residency to use in your future offices.

I see your point, but sometimes it's just not convenient to use library copies. Also, if you buy the book in your 4th year, in 2 years, like you say a new edition will be out. It's the same as anything, as soon you buy it, it's obsolete. You have to buy at some point, and during school is probably when you're going to get the most use out of it anyway.

Thanks for all your advises regarding books and place to live....sure it will help me a lot..