SUNY textbooks

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Opt2010

SUNY Class of 2010
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey SUNY students,
Are the first year books mandatory? to buy I mean? Do most students utilize the textbooks completely? Also, is there a note taking system where students can buy or copy notes?

Members don't see this ad.

Very few of the textbooks are *truly* required. There are a couple must-haves, but they are for clinical reference and you won't buy those until the 2nd or 3rd years. Wait until you get to school to see what's really needed. There are always a few copies of textbooks on reserve in the library, so I know a lot of people who just did their readings that way, but mostly you'll just rely on notes and handouts for each class.

There is a student-run transcript service which usually costs between $15-$25 per quarter (depending on how many classes are transcribed). Students are assigned specific lectures to transcribe, usually 2-4 one hour lectures per quarter. One person is appointed to tape all the lectures, so the student transcribing that lecture is given the tape for that lecture. Old exams and quizzes are provided as a separate part of the transcript service, so you can subscribe to just those if you don't want to participate in the lecture transcripts. I'd say about 85% of the class participates in transcripts.

I agree... Transcript service is great and almost everyone participates. The only book you need for first year without a doubt is the Netter Anatomy atlas (which you don't need until 2nd quarter). Apart from that I just used handouts, notes and transcripts.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok, great. Your comments have been really helpful. I'm just a little anxious about starting school there. Can you guys also share a little about your first year experiences at SUNY? Ie, What to expect, which classes we should spend more time on etc...

Opt2010 said:
Ok, great. Your comments have been really helpful. I'm just a little anxious about starting school there. Can you guys also share a little about your first year experiences at SUNY? Ie, What to expect, which classes we should spend more time on etc...

I guess in summary... first year is hard work.. but make sure you enjoy it.. cos it only gets harder from then on! =P

You'll get a talk from a few 2nd years on the classes when you get here for orientation, I found it pretty useful, some people didn't. The class you'll hear the most about is "Optometry I, II and III." Probably one of the most challenging courses you will take, it's your whole introduction to optometry, clinical methods (mainly refracting) and visual optics.

Enjoy =)

EyeBaller said:
The class you'll hear the most about is "Optometry I, II and III." Probably one of the most challenging courses you will take...
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: "Challenging" is an understatement. That class will dominate your first year experience at SUNY. :rolleyes:

The other years are a lot of work, but as the classes become more relevant they become more interesting.