SUNY Tuition Hikes????????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
M

MsPurtell

Has anyone heard about this? A friend who goes to Downstate recently told me that state support of SUNY medical schools is expected to drop off over the next several years. This will mean an increase in tuition which is already expected for next year and in the coming years. I've been accepted to Stony Brook Dental and assume the situation would be the same at the dental schools. Anyone with additional info???

Thanks, Margaret

Members don't see this ad.

You are right. I know that the tution for Downstate and Stony Brook have been increased. Stony Brook med is like $13,000/year versus being like mid $10,000 I believe last year :(

Thanks E'01, for confirming the tuition hikes. The person I know heard the tuition may go as high as 25K. I have to investigate if the same is happening with the SUNY dental schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
Tuition has increased $2000/year already. The rumors are that it will go up $2000 every year for the next three, until it tops out around $18,000.

:eek:

Well, don't complain. That is still cheap compared to all other medical schools in New York State. I would give up my left cervical rib to pay that tuition. Use your energy to forward the quality of state education rather than complain about the cost. Or, you can move to another state, live there for a year, and apply as an instate student. I hear Georgia is cheap.

I attend SUNY Upstate, and we got jacked for 2 grand. I've heard that, worst case scenario, it goes up $2,000 each year for another 3 years, but the increase has to be passed in the state senate each time. I agree with Pags, it's still a heck of a lot cheaper than provate institutions. We'll still get state support, but I think SUNY is looking to brach out a little more to non-resident students.

Guys

im starting upstate in august and izzy is exactly right. the tuition hike has to be passed EACH year. so with any hope, it won't move up each year. its still better than albany med...who just fired 95 doctors...or new york med.

later