SUNY Tuition Increase

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

StephenB

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone heard about this? Apparently SUNY is hitting the professional schools to cover the lost money from the state budget cuts. I want to open a class action law suit against either the state or SUNY (ill figure more on that once I speak with an attorney) and want to see if there's any students from other schools (I'm at Buffalo) that can find out what kind of student support there is for such a case. It would primarily be to return the tuition increase for the Fall semester. For Buffalo, the tuition increase was announced and voted on AFTER the semester had already started and financial aid funds were released. Additionally, I want to see about having the funds spread out past just the professional schools. The chairman of the Board of Trustees said the justification was based on SUNY schools having very competitive tuition rates for professional schools and that the increase still keeps tuition in a reasonable level. What I don't like about this is the fact that professional schools are very competitive and, especially for dental, one of the primary deciding factors for school choice is the tuition cost. A 20% increase on my tuition this year and 8-10% each additional year is enough to have potentially changed my mind had I been told about this earlier.

So, can any SUNY people at the other schools (dental/medical) see about class support? I'll post back updates once I speak with an attorney.

Members don't see this ad.

If u decide to sue the school be prepared to go through hell the next four years. Your just starting out and your going to be leaving a horrible impression.

If u decide to sue the school be prepared to go through hell the next four years. Your just starting out and your going to be leaving a horrible impression.

The lawsuit would likely be against the SUNY system and not UB dental in specific, so I don't think it would be taken personally by the staff. With that said, any reasonable person should understand my actions based on everything that is taking place right now.

Members don't see this ad :)
The lawsuit would likely be against the SUNY system and not UB dental in specific, so I don't think it would be taken personally by the staff. With that said, any reasonable person should understand my actions based on everything that is taking place right now.

You are going to ruin your chances of graduating if you school the school system when you are just weeks into a four year program. Business is personal and unreasonable.

You are going to ruin your chances of graduating if you school the school system when you are just weeks into a four year program. Business is personal and unreasonable.

you're an idiot. The dental school has no final power on tuition. Tuition goes to NYS not the school.

The dental school gets no more money for increasing tuition. It's all decided by the NYS board to decide the schools budget.

anyways I'll be for it. Class action lawsuits really don't cost anything really, because so many people are involved.

New York state is nearly bankrupt for those of you who don't know. I think it's a waste of time. Seriously:cool:. You'd be better off suing the fed government for installing the income tax which is unconstitutional, might turn out to be more productive. Just my thoughts.

every school is increasing tuition. Just suck it up and pay it off, SUNY is already one of the cheapest schools out there. No one files a class action lawsuit against mcdonalds for raising the price of chicken nuggets two fold and yet you want to ruin your school's rep and possibly your own bringing this issue up.

every school is increasing tuition. Just suck it up and pay it off, SUNY is already one of the cheapest schools out there. No one files a class action lawsuit against mcdonalds for raising the price of chicken nuggets two fold and yet you want to ruin your school's rep and possibly your own bringing this issue up.

yeah thats right, lets all sit tight and be good little citizens... the man>the people... right armydds?

yeah thats right, lets all sit tight and be good little citizens... the man>the people... right armydds?

lol what's your solution then? print more money?

lol what's your solution then? print more money?

INFLATION is definitely better for us. Increase the amount of money, make it worth less and thus our loans will be paid off quicker!!!

Steve don't speak w/ an attorney, they will just take whatever little money u have left.

:p

P.S. Do u know how much OS make?

Last edited:
P.S. Do u know how much OS make?

I think about the same as a person that a person working at KFC would make if they were to work around the event horizon of a black hole and thus take advantage of time-warping.
hope this answers your question. ;-)