suny upstate vs downstate for OOS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

charju

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
so i am lookin at the acceptance rate of these two..

both seem to be popular choices among OOS students like myself.. however according to MSAR upstate only had 13 OOS matriculate.. and 160/2647 interviewed.. this seems to be on the low side?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, I'm a NY student. Up and Down are public and aim to recruit from their respective regions: western NY and downstate NY. If you're out of state you have to be either the supreme being or an elite URM.

Prices will be identical for both. Both offer equal educational opportunities, Downstate will give you a better clinical experience. You must decide whether you want to be in Syracuse or Brooklyn.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yup.. most SUNY schools don't really like OOS students.

... I see I have a fan.

Hey, I'm a NY student. Up and Down are public and aim to recruit from their respective regions: western NY and downstate NY. If you're out of state you have to be either the supreme being or an elite URM.

I don't think this is entirely true. Some SUNY schools accept much more OOS students than other state schools, while some (SUNY Upstate) really don't like OOS'rs. If anything, SUNY screws us NYS people over in this process much more than other states.

Couple Examples of 2013 matriculants from OOS

SUNY Buffalo: ~30%
SUNY Upstate: ~10%
SUNY Downstate:~20%

How are the SUNY medical schools? Are they consisder to be mid-tier

I don't think this is entirely true. Some SUNY schools accept much more OOS students than other state schools, while some (SUNY Upstate) really don't like OOS'rs. If anything, SUNY screws us NYS people over in this process much more than other states.

Couple Examples of 2013 matriculants from OOS

SUNY Buffalo: ~30%
SUNY Upstate: ~10%
SUNY Downstate:~20%

Dude Maryland doesn't even favor In-state. It's the only public school and in-staters are only 60% of the class of 2013. I'd kill to be still a NY resident.

How are the SUNY medical schools? Are they consisder to be mid-tier

There is no tier system for medical schools. Medical schools differ from law schools in this aspect. Because a considerably lower tier school like NYMC for example still has a considerably good match list and all ( 99%) get jobs.

:confused:

new-york-map.gif

Dude Maryland doesn't even favor In-state. It's the only public school and in-staters are only 60% of the class of 2013. I'd kill to be still a NY resident.

It depends how you approach that statistic. Consider that 38% of maryland residents received an interview for 2013, while <8% OOS received interviews. That alone says that Maryland does indeed favor in-staters. We have many state schools in New York, however, at none of them do in-staters get interviews as high as maryland Moreover, according to MSAR, for the university of maryland, only 30% are OOS for 2013 (comparable to some SUNYs). But even the 30% is an inflated statistic, as the vast majority of applicants to maryland come from OOS.

We just have more schools, that's the tradeoff. You're right that being a NYS resident is more advantegous, but I'd hardly describe SUNYs as being friendly to us and unfriendly to OOS, especially relative to MANY other state schools. Both NJ schools for example are 95% in state, and public schools in texas have the same numbers.

untrue, SUNY medschools are the more OOS friendly public schools. in fact stony brook admissions officer say they consider state residency for tuition purpose only.

the % OOS interviewed is not a good indication of whether a school is OOS friendly or not because of self-selection: often those who apply to OOS public schools have lower stats and thus lower interview rate. on the other hand, almost all ny residents will apply to suny schools so their %interviewed will naturally be higher.