SUNY Upstate vs. Jacobs SOM (Buffalo)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

strawberrycow

Reaction score
Hi everyone! So I am in a bit of a tough decision as of recent when so late into the cycle. I got waitlisted to both Upstate and Jacobs (Buffalo) a while ago. At around March, I was contacted by Upstate offering me an opportunity to complete my MPH for a year and will receive conditional acceptance for next year (as long as I have good standing and at least a 3.25 gpa). I agreed to the program and started it online this summer, and was planning to move to Syracuse next month since it is in person for the fall and spring semesters. However, last Friday I got a call from Jacobs school admissions and I somehow got off the waitlist when I am about 2 weeks away from finishing my summer semester at Upstate.

Upstate
Pros
  • Been to Syracuse a handful of times since my best friend is from there and did like the city.
  • Everyone is really nice and the people in my program seem like people I would get along with and could be friends with.
  • Know of quite a few people who go here, since they take a lot of students from my undergrad to go here every year.
  • Get to participate in research a year earlier than my future class before we start ms1 since the MPH program allows us to get really involved in research projects. Plus I would have more time on my hands to get research done during the MPH year. I am considering ENT, so I feel that getting research early on will be helpful.
  • Was going to live on campus where a lot of ms1's live. I'm pretty shy at first so I was hoping that this would have forced me to socialize and get to know everyone.
  • A bit closer to home (5 hour drive compared to a 7 hour drive) though not really a huge deal.
  • Mentally prepared myself to be at Upstate for the next year doing this program.
Cons
  • Even though both schools have the same baseline tuition, I would have to fork up at least another $20k for my MPH year in addition to med school.
  • I don't know how to drive and I'm not sure how walkable some parts of Syracuse are other than the downtown area where my apartment building and campus would be.
  • No scholarship (that I know of) once I start med school.
  • Syracuse is smaller than Buffalo and I do tend to prefer larger cities since I am from queens.
  • I feel that there are not as many research options as Jacobs.
  • My program required that after we finished the MPH year, the summer between the MPH and starting ms1, we would have to do the MedSET program, which is taking a bunch of ms1 classes to prep us before we start classes.

Jacobs (Buffalo)
Pros
  • Get to start med school a year earlier than planned.
  • Received a $38k scholarship to use over the 4 years (so 9.5k a year)
  • A bigger school so there will be more facilities to use.
  • More research opportunities
  • Get to explore a new city that I never visited before.
  • Seems a lot more walkable than Syracuse, and with better public transportation options.
  • The faculty really wants you to get involved in research and will help you look based on your interested specialty

Cons
  • Don't get that extra year to tackle research early on. Also, I'm not sure how much time I will have to start it during ms1. I would consider doing it during the summer, but I really wanted to travel to Peru to visit my extended family (yes im urm lol). I guess I could do it for half of my summer?
  • Probably won't get my mph. I never really thought I'd pursue it before Upstate but I am generally interested in public health.
  • Haven't mentally prepared myself to be starting med school classes this fall. It all feels so overwhelming since I was expecting an easy transition from MPH classes to then med school classes. I guess I'm afraid of the uncertainty of what would come, especially since I have to figure all of this out so soon. I feel with Upstate I knew what to expect and there was some safety behind that.
  • Have to try to find an apartment in the next week since I have to be moved in by August 1st and get rid of my lease in Syracuse.
  • Have to figure out how to transfer my loans from Upstate to here.
  • Haven't gotten a feel yet for the vibes my class has... I'm hoping it would be generally similar to the people I met at Upstate but I am just anxious for what is to come.

These schools are the same in a lot of ways. However, in my particular circumstances, I am torn on which one to choose. I really liked Upstate so far but I also like Buffalo too, I feel the same about both schools. I feel like whichever choice I choose isn't necessarily the wrong choice, just a different path.

Members don't see this ad.

I'd do the math. How much would it cost to back out of your lease and MPH plan? How does the tuition at Jacobs compare to SUNY Upstate? If >$10k in favor of one school, I'd say that's a big deal. Transferring loans isn't a big deal- talk with the Jacobs financial aid office to help. If you want an MPH though, SUNY is probably the place to be unless there's decent a chance you won't make the 3.25 cutoff. If the money ain't a big deal, I'd stick with Upstate 100%.

I get the sense that you'd prefer to stay at Upstate. I'm also thinking that if you'd been accepted outright to both schools in March, you'd have chosen Buffalo. If so, I feel your dilemma.

I think I'd stick with Upstate at this point. Get your MPH, settle in with the community, and get involved in research as you mention. If you can do all three of these, and you are guaranteed a med school spot next fall if you hit the 3.25 GPA, I think Upstate makes sense given your concerns about changing horses so late in the summer.

One thing that might sway toward Buffalo is the MedSet program you mention. Just how onerous is that going to be and does that tip the scales toward Buffalo ?

Members don't see this ad :)
Buffalo is the second best SUNY med school after Stony brook imo. So that plus starting early makes Buffalo the winner imo

Reactions: 1 user
I get the sense that you'd prefer to stay at Upstate. I'm also thinking that if you'd been accepted outright to both schools in March, you'd have chosen Buffalo. If so, I feel your dilemma.

I think I'd stick with Upstate at this point. Get your MPH, settle in with the community, and get involved in research as you mention. If you can do all three of these, and you are guaranteed a med school spot next fall if you hit the 3.25 GPA, I think Upstate makes sense given your concerns about changing horses so late in the summer.

One thing that might sway toward Buffalo is the MedSet program you mention. Just how onerous is that going to be and does that tip the scales toward Buffalo ?
You're right that I would've probably chosen buffalo if I got to choose between both for reg admission earlier this year. Honestly, a major deciding factor is the scholarship money and the inconveniences that I will save with buffalo compared to upstate's mph program.

Rising M2 at Buffalo, feel free to PM me any questions you may have.

Reactions: 1 user