Super late switch into rads...possible?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BamaFan69

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm considering a switch to radiology for this match cycle. Problem is I only have letters for a surgical subspecialty I was applying to, and the writers prolly won't be amenable to writing rads specific letters. No chance of getting rads letters in time.

Stats: a couple of honors in clinicals (no AOA), step 1 ~250, a handful of papers (low-mid impact clinical research,non rads), Top 25 US MD.

Is it worth it to apply this year to get into a mid/upper-mid tier residency (I'd love a research heavy program)? Should I wait until next year? Would it be possible to get a prelim slot with no medicine letters?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys,

I'm considering a switch to radiology for this match cycle. Problem is I only have letters for a surgical subspecialty I was applying to, and the writers prolly won't be amenable to writing rads specific letters. No chance of getting rads letters in time.

Stats: a couple of honors in clinicals (no AOA), step 1 ~250, a handful of papers (low-mid impact clinical research,non rads), Top 25 US MD.

Is it worth it to apply this year to get into a mid/upper-mid tier residency (I'd love a research heavy program)? Should I wait until next year? Would it be possible to get a prelim slot with no medicine letters?

Thanks in advance for your help!
is there no way to get just 1 rad letter? squeeze in a quick rotation? that's all you'd really need

The earliest I can get is late february, otherwise nothing.

Members don't see this ad :)

Any chance you can hop on a quick research project? I switched from anesthesia to rads a couple weeks ago and got a last minute letter by doing so.

Sounds a bit like my situation. No rads letters. Gotta keep on trucking.

Why is February the earliest? I'm assuming doing a rads elective is your top priority right now, and if that's the case, the only thing limiting you is availability. Even if the electives are filled, go talk to someone in the department about your situation. Surely there is a way to get into an elective if you're proactive about it.

Reactions: 1 user
Why is February the earliest? I'm assuming doing a rads elective is your top priority right now, and if that's the case, the only thing limiting you is availability. Even if the electives are filled, go talk to someone in the department about your situation. Surely there is a way to get into an elective if you're proactive about it.

I've actually been able to set up an unofficial elective with a private practice radiologist, but I'm unsure if this will be acceptable for a letter. Otherwise the issue is people not responding to emails/phone calls.

See post #67 and #145 of the "Radiology Faculty Answering Questions" sticky thread. Personally I would not delay my career by a year unless you think you aren't sure about Radiology and need some exposure.

See post #67 and #145 of the "Radiology Faculty Answering Questions" sticky thread. Personally I would not delay my career by a year unless you think you aren't sure about Radiology and need some exposure.

Thanks you, those were extremely helpful. I guess the problem I have in my situation is that my letters will all say something like "BamaFan will make an excellent ortho resident etc.." I don't want programs to think I'm backup applying in anyway

If you make the situation and rationale clear in your personal statement, it will take away some of the doubts that a reviewer might have about your commitment to doing a Radiology residency.

If you make the situation and rationale clear in your personal statement, it will take away some of the doubts that a reviewer might have about your commitment to doing a Radiology residency.

Thanks for allaying my fears. I'll get started on reworking my statement, you've been a great help.

To the OP I would say that witching now is a bit late, but not unusually so. Assuming you are sure about your choice, go for it. From personal experience, I had a classmate last year who had interviewed (and was done with interviews) in another specialty. Comes late December/early January, the individual decided that the original specialty was not suitable and decided to apply to radiology. Secured 3 interviews, match at top choice on a coast! This is a true story. This is not a "I know a guy who knows a guy story". I also remember meeting a couple of applicants who made a similar switch around Oct and Nov.
So it happens. By these standards, you are not late. The question is 1) Are you sure? 2) Can you find strong and convincing arguments to justify your switch? You will have some convincing to do, so I'd suggest to work on your interviews. But as was said before, you are not late and you should go for it.

Good luck. Keep us posted.

To the OP I would say that witching now is a bit late, but not unusually so. Assuming you are sure about your choice, go for it. From personal experience, I had a classmate last year who had interviewed (and was done with interviews) in another specialty. Comes late December/early January, the individual decided that the original specialty was not suitable and decided to apply to radiology. Secured 3 interviews, match at top choice on a coast! This is a true story. This is not a "I know a guy who knows a guy story". I also remember meeting a couple of applicants who made a similar switch around Oct and Nov.
So it happens. By these standards, you are not late. The question is 1) Are you sure? 2) Can you find strong and convincing arguments to justify your switch? You will have some convincing to do, so I'd suggest to work on your interviews. But as was said before, you are not late and you should go for it.

Good luck. Keep us posted.

Thanks for your support.

My only question left now is regarding the prelim med/TY programs. I have 3 surgical letters ready to go, but I don't know whether I should use those and have my application completed on 9/15 or to wait for a radiology letter to come in (mid October).

Reactions: 1 user
Look at program requirements. For Radiology, last year, I remember that you do need 1 rad letter for radiology programs + 1 to 2 more (for instance 1 IM + 1 research letter if you had done so ; or 1 surgery letter + 1 whatever letter).
For prelims, well if you go into surgery prelim (like as an IR applicant), you should be set. If you want to do IM / TY you likely need an IM letter as well.
I would simply submit what you have and beg your rad letter writer (nicely and without harassing him/her) to have the letter uploaded in a timely fashion. I am sure the faculty who follow the thread may pitch in as to what is the best strategy. To a certain extent not having the letters ready may show "poor planning" (and your emergency should not become your letter writer's headache). But I think everybody understands that hick ups happen. I suppose this shouldn't prevent invitations.
So go ahead, submit what you have. Getting invites without the rad letter will largely depends on programs but if all else is in, chances are you will get invited with the understanding that your letter would be uploaded prior to your interview.
Good luck.