PhD/PsyD Supervisor REFUSING to SIGN post-DOC hours

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

runrun26

Reaction score
I passed the EPPP and completed the specific state requirements for licensing. The only missing piece is my supervisor signing my post-doctoral hours. The state board has said they are going to close my application due to not receiving the verification of post doc hours. Has anyone had this experience? If so, what did you do? Thoughts on filing a compliant against the supervisor license? This is frustrating because it is preventing me from having an income.

Members don't see this ad.

I passed the EPPP and completed the specific state requirements for licensing. The only missing piece is my supervisor signing my post-doctoral hours. The state board has said they are going to close my application due to not receiving the verification of post doc hours. Has anyone had this experience? If so, what did you do? Thoughts on filing a compliant against the supervisor license? This is frustrating because it is preventing me from having an income.
Certainly have not and I'm sorry you are in the situation. Is it an institution and is there someone else there you can reach out to? We had a written contract at ours so if for some reason my supervisor refused to sign off (or something tragic happened, etc, etc.) there would have been a paper trail of some kind that others at my institution could follow.

I'm honestly not sure the best way to handle, though a board complaint may not be unreasonable. It also depends on their reason. Are they just not responding? Did they say they refuse to sign off and if so, did they give a reason?

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
They are "REFUSING"... or not responsive??? Big difference.

It would be somewhat unusual that you would have lost contact or have had a significant break in your correspondence/relationship with this supervisor so quickly after post-doc if there were not something else to the story. Was there a conduct or competence issue/concern when you were a post-doc there?

If not, surely there is another psychologist there who can attest? Even if not, boards have to be able to factor in various contingencies like death, illness, incapacitation, disappearance, etc. of the primary supervisor and have other options available for would-be licensees.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Certainly have not and I'm sorry you are in the situation. Is it an institution and is there someone else there you can reach out to? We had a written contract at ours so if for some reason my supervisor refused to sign off (or something tragic happened, etc, etc.) there would have been a paper trail of some kind that others at my institution could follow.

I'm honestly not sure the best way to handle, though a board complaint may not be unreasonable. It also depends on their reason. Are they just not responding? Did they say they refuse to sign off and if so, did they give a reason?
No reason provided; it came after I testified in cases against the supervisor.

They are "REFUSING"... or not responsive??? Big difference.

It would be somewhat unusual that you would have lost contact or have had a significant break in your correspondence/relationship with this supervisor so quickly after post-doc if there were not something else to the story. Was there a conduct or competence issue/concern when you were a post-doc there?

If not, surely there is another psychologist there who can attest? Even if not, boards have to be able to factor in various contingencies like death, illness, incapacitation, disappearance, etc. of the primary supervisor and have other options available for would-be licensees.
Both; refusing and non-responsive. The agency relocated the supervisor due to several EEO complaints of misconduct by several staff. No conduct or competence issues; I was hired full time and promoted post-doc. I still work in the same place; my former supervisor has been relocated.

Both; refusing and non-responsive. The agency relocated the supervisor due to several EEO complaints of misconduct by several staff. No conduct or competence issues; I was hired full time and promoted post-doc. I still work in the same place; my former supervisor has been relocated.
K. Well, assuming your former supervisor is indeed a total dbag (wonder how good of "supervisor" they could have been?), then any number of psychologists at the facility should be able to take this over? I mean, there are records of your supervision, right (I would hope for goodness sake)...and they don't "belong" to that person only. It's not like you worked FOR him/her proper, right? You worked for the agency/facility. Get HR involved if needed. And.... where is the facility's psychology/psychologist TD in all this nonsense?! Kind of their job to deal with administrative **** like this.

Last edited:
Reactions: 10 users
K. Well, assuming your former supervisor is indeed a total dbag (wonder how good of "supervisor" they could have been?), then any number of psychologists at the facility should be able to take this over? I mean, there are records of your supervision, right (I would hope for goodness sake)...and they don't "belong" to that person only. It's not like you worked FOR him/her proper, right? You worked for the agency/facility. Get HR involved if needed. And.... where is the facility's psychology/psychologist TD in all this nonsense?! Kind of their job to deal with administrative **** like this.
Thank you. I appreciate the insight!

Thank you, I appreciate the feedback.
As erg said, the TD of your placement should be able to sign as long as you met the requirements.
Thank you, I appreciate the feedback.

The state board has said they are going to close my application due to not receiving the verification of post doc hours. Has anyone had this experience?
Do not let them close your application. Ask your State Board if you can email them a formal letter from you, explaining the situation (professionally and with no identifiers) and ask for an extension while you sort it out with your TD. My Postdoc Director left the country and my final sign-off was delayed many (!) weeks...it was very stressful, but the State Board actually advised me to continue bugging our Director (out of the Country). I didn't have to request an extension, but it would have been my next step. Then, it all fell into place.

Good luck! :luck:

P.S. Without knowing the details, thank you for elevating our field by calling out someone who was sub-par.

Reactions: 8 users
100%: the board has absolutely dealt with this before. Get something from the TD. Call up the board, explain the situation calmly. Ask them what other people in this situation have done. As back up, call up the local law school and ask for their pro bono clinic.

Reactions: 7 users
I knew of a private practice that employed postdocs, where the "TD" was the owner of the practice (and only supervisor), and HR was..... his wife :rolleyes:

Hopefully OP is in a setting with more robust trainee/employee protections than that. If not, then hopefully the board can assist.

I am late to the party, but good advice thus far. Do not let them close the board close the file. The TD should be able to sign off and if they do not feel comfortable a new supervisor can be assigned to review the work and sign off. The site (assuming it is a formal post-doc) is absolutely responsible for you getting your hours signed off. If they refuse, go to the law school clinic because you will have legal recourse if they are holding up your license due to participation in a whistleblower case.

EDIT: Any discussion of this with your supervisor or site should be done by email. If this is a work email, print all emails out and leave them in a folder at home. You want a documented copy of every attempt you made to rectify the situation and you want access to it even if you leave that site.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
You're probably already doing this, but just in case, I suggest corresponding with your postdoc employer via USPS Certified Mail only - and add Return Receipt service so you have proof they received your letter. Certified Mail also communicates the serious nature of your correspondence.

What is Certified Mail?

Insurance & Extra Services: Add Proof of Mailing, Delivery Confirmation, & More

Certified Mail® - Prove you sent it. See when it was delivered or that a delivery attempt was made, and get the signature of the person who accepts the mailing when combined with Return Receipt. Purchase at your Post Office. Present for mailing to a Postal employee if a postmarked sender’s receipt is requested. Combine with Return Receipt to get an electronic or physical delivery record showing the recipient’s signature. The recipient may be required to show an acceptable primary ID before USPS will deliver the mailpiece. Cost: $3.55.

Return Receipt: Get an electronic or hardcopy delivery record showing the recipient’s signature. Purchase at a Post Office depending on the mail class. Cost: $2.85 for mail receipt; $1.70 for email receipt.

Reactions: 4 users