Supplemental essay format?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pharmd4me@510

druggist_2_be
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Do you write your supplemental essay the way you would in a PS-introduction, body, conclusion-- or just answer the question in one or two paragraphs? Please advise. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

pharmd4me@510 said:
Hi everyone,

Do you write your supplemental essay the way you would in a PS-introduction, body, conclusion-- or just answer the question in one or two paragraphs? Please advise. Thanks

I used PS form.

gimpsd said:
I used PS form.

Wouldn't it depend though? I know some schools have two or three questions they want you to answer and you're only given about 1/3 page. Like USC, they want you to answer it in no more than a paragraph...and UCSF has short questions that give you only 1/2 page. Wouldn't that be too short that you'd need to get straight to the point?

Members don't see this ad :)
senzabee said:
Wouldn't it depend though? I know some schools have two or three questions they want you to answer and you're only given about 1/3 page. Like USC, they want you to answer it in no more than a paragraph...and UCSF has short questions that give you only 1/2 page. Wouldn't that be too short that you'd need to get straight to the point?

It is always best to use the PS format. Dosen't mean you have to write several pages to obtain that format. You can always use the first sentence as your introduction, the next two sentences as your body and the last sentence as your conclusion. Better then just jumping into the middle of the question and having no clear structure. JMO anyways.

gimpsd said:
It is always best to use the PS format. Dosen't mean you have to write several pages to obtain that format. You can always use the first sentence as your introduction, the next two sentences as your body and the last sentence as your conclusion. Better then just jumping into the middle of the question and having no clear structure. JMO anyways.

True, that makes sense. Thanks :)

It's funny because sometimes we complain about having to write so much, but when we're restricted to write only a certain amount, that ends up being harder! I guess it's all about being concise and making your point clear from the start.

senzabee said:
True, that makes sense. Thanks :)

It's funny because sometimes we complain about having to write so much, but when we're restricted to write only a certain amount, that ends up being harder! I guess it's all about being concise and making your point clear from the start.

Thanks for the advise!