Supplemental essays: how important they were to you?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ngynththo

accepted pharmacy student
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I really want to know how many percent the supplemental essays contributed to your success. Did the interviewing questions related to what you had stated in your application? Thank you very much.

Members don't see this ad.

ngynththo said:
I really want to know how many percent the supplemental essays contributed to your success. Did the interviewing questions related to what you had stated in your application? Thank you very much.
I couldn't say for sure how much they contributed. Both of the schools I interviewed with had closed file interviews - that is, the faculty member interviewing me only had my name and basic demographis info. They did not see the entire file until after the interviews. So, I'm sure that the interview covered some of the info. in my supplemental essay, but generally it's more for the admissions committee to read.

I can't answer how much they contributed. However, one of my interviews was open file and I'd say that about 30% of my interview consisted of discussion of my supplemental essay. I'm glad I took that essay seriously. (I got in off the wait-list.)

Members don't see this ad :)
Ummm... I think they had contributed to getting me my interview, but then the interview mattered for getting into the school after that.

Definitely, the supplemental essay (along with other factors) contribute immensely to whether or not you get an interview. I think it was a big factor for me. After you get an interview, it's not AS important. I went to five interviews and none of them ask me questions about my essay. However, you should always review what you've written before your interview in case you forget what you wrote. :)

xturquoise said:
Definitely, the supplemental essay (along with other factors) contribute immensely to whether or not you get an interview. I think it was a big factor for me. After you get an interview, it's not AS important. I went to five interviews and none of them ask me questions about my essay. However, you should always review what you've written before your interview in case you forget what you wrote. :)

xturquoise, how did you approach your essays, especially the ones asking you to explain how you displayed certain traits (leadership, self-initiative, etc) through your activities? Right now, I'm just trying to list what I've done to show those characteristics before I write it out in a formal essay. But like a lot of others have asked, do we somehow have to make it into this super interesting and creative essay, rather than just a "I showed leadership by......I am creative because....I am this, I am that" essay?

What do you guys think? :confused: Thanks everyone!

For those applying to UCSF: How do issues of diversity affect and shape the interactions between pharmacists and patients? Essay question from sup app. Any thoughts? Thanks