Supplemental Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dds_2024

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I guess I'm the only one that hates writing because I can't seem to find any thread regarding how I'm feeling.. haha

It is taking me longer than expected to answer the questions.

For example, ASDOH is asking 4 questions and you have to answer within 500 words or less. 500 is basically one page! For one of the questions I made it to 500 words for the second question I only made it to 175 words and now I'm moving on to the next two questions.

ANYWAYS, did you guys complete your supplemental essays right away? How did you guys go about doing it? Did you guys fill the 500 word limit each time? Did you pick and choose your battles?

Any insight will help! Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

quality over quantity

Reactions: 1 users
Your application is not complete until you finish. At the same time they will be handing out interviews meaning there might not be any pre December interviews if you wait. So you decide how you want to do it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I guess I'm the only one that hates writing because I can't seem to find any thread regarding how I'm feeling.. haha

For example, ASDOH is asking 4 questions and you have to answer within 500 words or less. 500 is basically one page! For one of the questions I made it to 500 words for the second question I only made it to 175 words and now I'm moving on to the next two questions.

ANYWAYS, did you guys complete your supplemental essays right away? How did you guys go about doing it? Did you guys fill the 500 word limit each time? Did you pick and choose your battles?

For MOSDOH (same essay prompts) I also struggled to get to the 500 on a couple of them. I tried to at least get to like 350 words. But the substance of your essays is more important than the word count. If you feel you can adequately answer the question in less words, don't just keep adding fluff to up the word count. That is when the essay will begin to sound less sincere

Adcom don’t have time to read 500 word of rubbish; It might negatively affecting you.
Just be genuine about what you writing, and it should come from your heart. it’s ok to not fill 500 full ( of course not 150-words lol)
Take your time to edit and ask your adviser to read it too. Best of luck this cycle!!!

Reactions: 1 user
For the last prompt: “Write a brief paragraph on a subject outside of Dentistry, which has been an area of great interest to you.”

This one’s definitely a curveball! I’m curious what approach you guys took/are taking to answer this question since I feel like a lot of far-fetched things can be discussed. Are you focusing on hobbies? Non-dental organizations? Something cool you watched on YouTube? Maybe even YouTube itself? All can technically be considered “an area of great interest.” Basically, I don’t I want to sound like an idiot talking about my love for different kinds of cheeses lol (not what I plan to write about but could be a potential idea).

For the last prompt: “Write a brief paragraph on a subject outside of Dentistry, which has been an area of great interest to you.”

This one’s definitely a curveball! I’m curious what approach you guys took/are taking to answer this question since I feel like a lot of far-fetched things can be discussed. Are you focusing on hobbies? Non-dental organizations? Something cool you watched on YouTube? Maybe even YouTube itself? All can technically be considered “an area of great interest.” Basically, I don’t I want to sound like an idiot talking about my love for different kinds of cheeses lol (not what I plan to write about but could be a potential idea).

Is there anything when looking at the rest of your application that you wish you could get talked about. Like a special skill or something that may help you to stand out? I wrote about my love for animals and tried in volunteering at a local animal shelter. Just gives you one more thing to talk about in your interview and in my opinion, when we talked about this question in my interview, I was much more relaxed than I had been when they asked about grades, DAT, etc.

Yeah I was pissed to see the length of the supplemental questions. Like my application is so full of information about me, what more could these people want? The supplemental questions are practically as long as my goddamn personal statement! I almost wanted to withdraw my application to that school when I saw that lol

Please reflect on how these experiences have impacted your anticipated career pathway in the dental profession and/or your role as a dentist in the community.

How should we go about this question? Isn't is just like our personal statement and experiences section? Whatre they looking for?

I would read over the mission statement and what the school’s value . Then think of something along those line to write about. I knows!! Such a pain with these secondary.

Please reflect on how these experiences have impacted your anticipated career pathway in the dental profession and/or your role as a dentist in the community.

How should we go about this question? Isn't is just like our personal statement and experiences section? Whatre they looking for?

The school is big on community service. So I talked about how my experiences with the underserved (volunteering at an FQHC and all of my experience with living rural) influenced my desire to become a dentist and to work in a rural public health setting. It was slightly repetitive from my personal statement but it drove home further that I embodied what their mission was

I needed help with this one too!

Probably late to the game here, but for future predent reference- Do not put too much thought into these. Every school I interviewed at hadn’t even read my supplemental app from what I could tell, 7 schools (with the exception of Western haha). Also, I lost out on a lot of interviews or got late interviews to some because I was taking my time to write the perfect supplementals lol