Supplementary Applications

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

isittoolate

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Some of the supplementary applications that I have received have given me a pdf, which it appears they expect me to print off and then handwrite my answers.

I have found a way to edit the pdf to type some of the information, but I am planning on attaching another sheet for the Creighton Supplementary. If you look here:

http://www.creighton.edu/fileadmin/user/Dental/docs/WebSupApp.pdf

This is the supplementary. It says we are allowed to attach a sheet of paper for the essay questions, but doesn't give any length requirement. What length is appropriate?

I know other schools give like 1000 characters, but if I had a choice I would want to write more.

Members don't see this ad.

Most supplemental essay questions expect a few paragraphs. Maybe half a page's worth at most. Keep it as short as possible while still conveying all your thoughts.

Also under no circumstances should you be handwriting anything. When in doubt, type up the answers and attach them or edit them in the pdf.

You can use a PDF editor like PDFXChange to enter the stuff digitally and save the details. Might be a lot more professional looking if you do it like that (and more convenient).

Now this supplemental states that you have you print it out but for UCLA's and Penn's secondary, I filled them out digitally without incident.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks ushaseos. I ended up using an online PDF editor, not sure if it was the best or not, but a lot of the programs I tried were either not for a mac or didn't allow me to add text how I wanted.

Also, there is a question on the Creighton Application that asks the following: "Please state anything of particular importance that the admissions committee should know about you." Are they giving me another opportunity to highlight some of my strengths, such as my upward trend in GPA? Or is this a section included to explain something particularly negative in your application? Like if you needed to explain an F in a class or something that adversely affected your schooling that had a profound impact on your life.

If anyone was curious, this is the program I used to edit the pdf:
http://www.pdfescape.com/

I fit the answers to the supplemental questions for Creighton on a single page. I think there were 3 questions, right? And on the application sheet I just wrote 'see attached' or something like that. For that final question, I looked at it as an opportunity to highlight things that really weren't appropriate for the personal statement. If there's something really negative in your app that needs to be explained, you could do it here, but I would use it more to your advantage if possible. Give them something positive to remember you by.