Supply closet?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

neuroprotector

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I can't believe I'm about to post this, but as a good student, it's my duty to be curious (right?)

Have you ever made out with someone in a hospital supply closet? This never occurred to me at first, and I figured it was just an invention of TV or something. But I was talking to my friend who claimed he had. The problem is, he's kind of prone to claiming all sorts of things.

Here's to hoping nobody I know ever reads this.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not sure the supply closet is a romantic environment nor does it seem very private. Perhaps there were some feelings that needed to be expressed ASAP. I have seen video and read accounts of people having romantic encounters in what I would consider "work" situations; it does happen but it is far from the norm. You'll find a few threads on SDN about folks making use of the the on-call "bedroom."

I guess I'm wondering about your interest in this. Do you wish you could have a romantic encounter at a hospital? Things OK romance wise in your life? Does talking about other people's romantic encounters make you a little uncomfortable? I'm trying to get a sense on where you are coming from on this.

Members don't see this ad :)
I can't believe I'm about to post this, but as a good student, it's my duty to be curious (right?)

Have you ever made out with someone in a hospital supply closet? This never occurred to me at first, and I figured it was just an invention of TV or something. But I was talking to my friend who claimed he had. The problem is, he's kind of prone to claiming all sorts of things.

I think that your friend is lying.

Most supply closets are right next to the nurses stations. There is always a lot of people around there, and (in some units) there is the persistent smell of diarrhea and urine mixing in with the smell of strong cleaning chemicals.

If they keep the Pyxis in that supply closet, then there is a lot of traffic coming in and out of that supply closet, too.

Finally, a LOT of supply closets that I have seen have windows in the doors, or have the doors kept open most of the time.

So I think your friend has watched one too many episodes of Grey's Anatomy.

I think that your friend is lying.

Most supply closets are right next to the nurses stations. There is always a lot of people around there, and (in some units) there is the persistent smell of diarrhea and urine mixing in with the smell of strong cleaning chemicals.

If they keep the Pyxis in that supply closet, then there is a lot of traffic coming in and out of that supply closet, too.

Finally, a LOT of supply closets that I have seen have windows in the doors, or have the doors kept open most of the time.

Wait.......I thought Grey's Anatomy was a Documentary? No?

...but things occasionally DO happen in the hospital.

Our program is just chock-full of gossipy dirt a la Grey's Anatomy! :)

While I don't think it would be appropriate that I give any detailed information about this topic I will say that I am certain that these incidents have occurred in hospitals both inconsequentially and also leading to disciplinary action.

The more important question... has anyone seen a fellow student/resident purposely send a patient they are openly in love with into a downward spiral in order to get that patient to the top of the transplant list? These are important questions people!

172630__denny_l.jpg

edit: jesus, I think I just inadvertently admitted I watch Grey's Anatomy.

So I've never heard of the supply areas (probably to many people in and out?) but I have heard of these things happening in offices, lounges, on-call rooms and little used stairwells. Happens very very rarely, but it does go on. Sometimes people lose their jobs over things like this, sometimes not. +pity+

Nobody in my class has but I have on good authority there was an Attending/Nurse hook up in the attending on call room and a Rads Tech/ED Resident hook up.

As for med students, Hell nah. I don't think our hospital trusts us enough to give us the codes to any supply closets.