Support Hahnemann Pathology Residents

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BU Pathology

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
You may be aware the closure of Hahnemann Hospital, here is an opportunity to support those pathology residents.

If you wish to donate the link below will take you directly to the ASCP website. Note that 100% of donations will be used to help the Hahnemann Pathology Residents.

In late June, Hahnemann University Hospital in Philadelphia, which is affiliated with Drexel University, announced its upcoming closure. While residency program leadership has worked tirelessly to place the 21 pathology residents affected by the Hahnemann University Hospital closure at other programs, residents face significant challenges as they transition into new programs, including
  • Fees for breaking leases and continued payments for vacated properties.
  • Travel and relocation expenses.
  • Lack of salary support during the transition period for those awaiting medical training licenses from other states.

With your support, we will be making hardship grants of up to $2,500 available to residents directly affected by the Hahnemann University Hospital closure to assist with travel and relocation costs, partial salary support, and other related expenses.
Please donate by August 31 to support residents facing unexpected needs due to the Hahnemann University Hospital closure.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm sorry to read about the closure of Hahnemann University Hospital (the decision to do so by private equity is really concerning)...

But I can't stop wondering...they have 21 pathology residents???

That sounds like a lot for a hospital that's apparently ~400 beds (as per Google). Unless they serve an extremely large catchment area?

The largest hospital in Melbourne (Australia) has at most 6 anatomical pathology registrars (residents) for an accession count of ~#25-30K / year, with a few more if you include those who are doing pure Haem path / biochemistry / microbiology, I estimate no more than 12 total for all the pathology sub-disciplines.

Am I missing something here?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You are not missing anything. This is a huge problem. It may eventually solve itself with continued closures and decimation of the field. Unfortunate to not modulate on the back end by buttoning things up a bit but it’s not going to happen because of leadership, free government money, and greed.

Reactions: 1 users
The only way a pathology program closes?! I am sure someone will use this to show we need another one right away.

From what I gather it is because the hospital was closed down by the new owners. All residency programs at this hospital are affected.

It is a really bad situation. All residents, faculty/staff physicians, nurses, etc are going to be out of the job.

The ASCP program is a great idea and I'm sure there are similar programs from the respective professional societies for the other specialties. The timing is also terrible as obviously residency/fellowship programs just started a few weeks ago.

I know the other Philly programs are trying to accommodate the residents.

There is also an initiative to save St. Christopher's Children's Hospital with a group effort from Einstein, PCOM, Jefferson and Temple.......

This is likely a Godsend for these folks because they get to more carefully consider their career options. Hard now but they will look back on this and be very thankful they got this 2nd Chance.

Lol they will just go into another pathology residency program who needs the grossing labor.

Last edited:
They're not out of jobs, just terribly inconvenienced--random departments will take them on...
Would that not be a huge red flag to potential PGY1s? Rumors of financial problems and hospital closure? I mean this can't have been out of the blue...

Also, what happens to the all the CMS funding? The university receives a solid $125-150k per resident--Where do/did the 2019-2020 funds go?

agree with LA.

seriously...21?!?!?!?!?!!?

well that's one less program!

there are 137 pathology programs for this ERAS 2020 cycle in comparison to 128 derm programs.

although of varying sizes, some accepting 2 a year, we should close at least 40 of them and call it even at 90 programs. job market should improve?

Only a few more days to donate to help the Hahnemann residents

With your support, we will be making hardship grants of up to $2,500 available to residents directly affected by the Hahnemann University Hospital closure to assist with travel and relocation costs, partial salary support, and other related expenses.
Please donate by August 31 to support residents facing unexpected needs due to the Hahnemann University Hospital closure.

Sebastian Jofre, MD share’s the challenges he is facing due to the Hahnemann University Hospital closure. Help the ASCP Foundation assist him and other residents like him with your donation.
One hundred percent of your donations will support ASCP Foundation Hahnemann Hardship Grants. All personnel and administrative costs are made possible with the generous support of ASCP.
Give Today. Change Tomorrow.
#ASCPChangeTomorrow
Here is the link to the youtube video

Yah about that "21 Pathology residents"...
That may be the single biggest red flag of this whole saga. The whole hospital sounded they were running a ponzi scheme with GME monies. No wonder it collapsed. Im not even sure how you would train that with so little volume.

Somewhere on the Hahhhhnemann campus late one Tuesday:
Seven residents crowd silently around a tubular adenoma. Junior attending breaks the eerie silence: You see? Can you all see the nuclear piling?? Hey! Timmy cover your mouth when you cough! Stop looking at your cell phone when we get a precious specimen like this!

OMG, this is Jeffrey Epstein levels of corrupt shenanigans. But instead of buying kids, they are selling an entire hospital full of residents.

Okay, who wants to go in on this and buy a bunch of cute dermatologists to generate mad specimens for the old path lab??! Smells of win.