10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 18, 2008
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Anyone use compression or support socks for the wards? Family member wants to buy me a gift I can use on the wards, thinking about asking for some support socks.

Any brands people like? Do they actually help cramping and so forth? Any other gift I could suggest?

link2swim06

10+ Year Member
Dec 14, 2007
Status
Attending Physician
Anyone use compression or support socks for the wards? Family member wants to buy me a gift I can use on the wards, thinking about asking for some support socks.

Any brands people like? Do they actually help cramping and so forth? Any other gift I could suggest?
Do you have venous insufficiency or something?

OP

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 18, 2008
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Do you have venous insufficiency or something?
no, my dad was a surgeon and his legs are trashed, all of the veins in his legs are blown out. I don't want that to happen to me. :shrug:

couldn't hurt, I think?

Winged Scapula

Cougariffic!
Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Apr 9, 2000
forums.studentdoctor.net
Status
Attending Physician
no, my dad was a surgeon and his legs are trashed, all of the veins in his legs are blown out. I don't want that to happen to me. :shrug:

couldn't hurt, I think?
It's a great idea for the reasons you've suggested above as well as the fact that your legs and feet just feel better after wearing them.

Go to www.discountsurgical.com for the best prices in my opinion and widest selection. I have been happy with the Jobst and Sigvaris brands. I preferred the black ones because they look less like support hose then the tan ones do.

Phlame217

PGY-1 IM
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 1, 2007
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I wear running socks that have compression and built in arch support and the works. Same socks I use when running marathons. I noticed when I started using them my feet and legs weren't as achy after a 12 hour day

PTPoeny

10+ Year Member
Mar 3, 2005
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
They are amazing on surgical rotations. I don't notice much effect on medical rotations where I am walking around more.