support socks question...?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tiedyeddog

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone use compression or support socks for the wards? Family member wants to buy me a gift I can use on the wards, thinking about asking for some support socks.

Any brands people like? Do they actually help cramping and so forth? Any other gift I could suggest?

Members don't see this ad.

Lot's of the females in my surgical residency wear actual compression stockings, I have some smartwool socks that have some compression built in. I can feel the difference, especially if standing for long periods or after a 24.

Survivor DO

Anyone use compression or support socks for the wards? Family member wants to buy me a gift I can use on the wards, thinking about asking for some support socks.

Any brands people like? Do they actually help cramping and so forth? Any other gift I could suggest?

Do you have venous insufficiency or something?

Members don't see this ad :)
:thumbup:

Can't believe I haven't thought of doing this

no, my dad was a surgeon and his legs are trashed, all of the veins in his legs are blown out. I don't want that to happen to me. :shrug:

couldn't hurt, I think?

It's a great idea for the reasons you've suggested above as well as the fact that your legs and feet just feel better after wearing them.

Go to www.discountsurgical.com for the best prices in my opinion and widest selection. I have been happy with the Jobst and Sigvaris brands. I preferred the black ones because they look less like support hose then the tan ones do.

I wear running socks that have compression and built in arch support and the works. Same socks I use when running marathons. I noticed when I started using them my feet and legs weren't as achy after a 12 hour day