Supreme Court Unanimously Upheld Arkansas' PBM Law Concerning Reimbursements

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BC_89

Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Arkansas' PBM law unanimously upheld by U.S. Supreme Court - Talk Business & Politics

Drug prices: Supreme Court says states can regulate Rx drug middlemen (usatoday.com)

In a nutshell, PBMs are required to give a higher reimbursement for any generic drugs that are deemed below wholesale costs. Arkansas put this in full motion a few years back and apparently got sued by PBM association reps stating that laws of the state have no dictation on how payments are made for voluntary employee benefit plans. Well, they lost and the supreme court upheld the regulation.

I'd be curious on how much the marginal difference would be for reimbursements compared to the actual wholesale cost but I'm sure that'll be another comprehensive list that wont be very comprehensive.

Members don't see this ad.

• Wow
Reactions: 4 users
Arkansas Act 900 is a disaster. I get it from a business perspective but it raises costs for insurers. If Amazon wants to strike against PBMs here is their opportunity

Members don't see this ad :)
Arkansas Act 900 is a disaster. I get it from a business perspective but it raises costs for insurers. If Amazon wants to strike against PBMs here is their opportunity
Is there a meaningful difference between a health insurer and PBM? Don't insurers own the PBMs, by and large?

So - do we get back pharmacist overlap or not? Oh wait - any extra revenue will go toward the top 1%.... God bless America - where the American dream is reserved for the CEO

If greed was not such an issue - our careers would not be in crisis