Surgeon steady hands and my dream(REPLY PLS)

Started by FutureDr1
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

FutureDr1

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm 16 years old guy who wants to be a surgeon in the future ( I know I should care about study and I DO with my best)
but i noticed that my hands aren't that steady, there are shaking (not too much)

I can post youtube video if you asks

so will this effect on my dream ?
or surgeons get their steady hands by practise ?

please reply.
thanks
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Practice makes perfect. Many surgeons have a physiologic tremor that may be more significant than the population average, but can learn to control it or work with it.

Performance under duress, planning, and decision-making capabilities are far more important determinants of surgical skill.
 
This is only an issue to worry about now if it is currently interfering with your life, in which case you should explore treatment options. It will be an issue in college only if your tremor is still there and interfering with fine motor tasks, AND you will only go to medical school if you can become a surgeon (which, honestly, is a little intense and would raise some adcom eyebrows if you were that adamant).

Realistically:

1. Your tremor may not interfere with the fine motor tasks required of a surgical specialty
2. If it does, it may be treatable
3. If it isn't, you might change your mind and want to go into something else anyway.

Heck, I thought I wanted to be one specialty in college, had no idea in my first two years of medical school, had some idea in the first few months of third year, and now changed my mind and am looking at a completely different specialty as I plan my 4th year electives to gear up to residency application.

I think I've got it this time, though.
 
If you ever watch surgery, you'll see it's not that intricate. If you can make a sandwich without getting mustard on your kitchen ceiling, you have the dexterity needed for surgery.
 
Looks like you just don't currently do any fine tuned hand movements so you don't have practice controlling the tremor. If you did something requiring really fine movements (like painting on a small scale with an eyelash or mounting insects) on a regular basis, your hands will shake less.

Also, are you drinking a lot of caffeine?
 
Remaining perfectly still is actually a pretty difficult task for your muscles and nerves, especially if you have a beating heart (check on that first). But it's also something that you don't need to do all that often. BB King probably has some pretty shaky hands, but they don't shake when he moves them, and that's when the surgeon really earns his keep when you think about it. 🙂
 
Heeeeeeeeeey
some says surgery will be good and i'll be good at it
some says surgery isn't for me

PLEAAAAAASE WHO IS RIGHT ?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
being a surgeon is my dream and I wish I can
but my steady hands so I asked..

CAN I OR NOT?
YOU CAN SEE MY VIDEO
Thanks

As mentioned earlier, it's somewhat common to have a bit of movement. Especially seeing as how you haven't practiced finely tuned motor movement. As far as your hands are concerned, you'll be fine. 😉
 
Unless you have a diagnosed condition that interferes with fine motor control, you should be fine.

Also, you are worrying about this way too early. You are 6 years out from medical school, minimum.
 
You're fine. I know plastic surgeons with worse tremors.

Manual dexterity is not high on the list of what makes a good surgeon.