surgery internships for ortho

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drvegas

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If I am not accepted into an ortho residency, is there such a thing as a surgical internship that will help me get into a ortho residency through the back door. Is there any other pathway to help me realize this goal.

Members don't see this ad.

You can always apply to a surgical residency for a preliminary year and then re-apply for ortho. A prelim year (rather than a categorical) are generally for people who are going to be entering other surgical specialties (ENT, Uro) but I suppose you could do it for ortho as well.

JPH is right as usual. Be aware though, that for ACGME programs, Ortho now requires a categorical internship. I have heard of a number of people still able to do a surg prelim and hunt a PGY-2 in Ortho, but you have to negotiate with your program to ensure that you get the required elements of an ortho internship (1mo of IM wards, 3mo of Ortho, I believe).

Not sure how the Osteo programs are doing it these days, but I thought I'd mention it since there is still a lot of confusion about this on the MD side of the house.

Good to know. I was unaware of the categorical requirement. :thumbup: