Surgery - NMS Casebook vs Pestana's notes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medstu2006

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I've been reading Pestana's Notes (the questions) and NMS Casebook. They seem so different in terms of material. Casebook is very detail oriented and seems more for a Surgery Intern, while Pestana's notes seems more like Internal medicine review. Which is more representative of the Surgery shelf?
If i do only Pestana's from now on until my shelf next week, would I be fine?

Members don't see this ad.

For your ease of mind, I never did NMS book, but attacked pestana's notes aggressively (covered them thoroughly like 4 times) and found that they were incredibly high yield for the shelf. Honestly like 1/3 to half of the shelf was in pestana in some shape or form. Super high yield, work on them. I also used our required text for the rotation (lawrence essentials of surgery). Using just these 2 sources and previous step 1 knowledge still lodged in my brain I scored well above average (top 10% of my class). Good luck.

Pestana is incredibly high yield, but, as Hurricane said, it probably only represents about 1/3 of the exam. You need to get the rest from somewhere else, because they are really only mentioning the *most* common presentation of each disease. You need to look through another resource as well. NMS Casebook is a good one.