FatKid

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 15, 2009
Status
Medical Student
Hey everyone,

My school is saying that they REQUIRE Essentials of General Surgery AND Essentials of Surgical Specialties both by Peter F. Lawrence.

Apparently we have weekly quizzes, a mid-term exam and a final exam, AS WELL AS, the shelf exam. On these quizzes and exams through my med school, they say the material comes certain chapters from the Lawrence Books.

I already have the USMLE Step 2 CK from Kaplan and plan on buying the USMLE World question bank.

Should I waste my $$$ buying their "required" books, or will the Kaplan and USMLE World suffice?

SeminoleFan3

10+ Year Member
Mar 3, 2006
Status
Attending Physician
Well, I assume we go to the same school...

You can probably get the books from the library or something, or see if any M4s want to sell there's real cheap. It looks like the quiz questions come from the end of the book chapters, though.

Depakote

Pediatric Anesthesiologist
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Nov 2, 2004
SOCMOB
Status
Attending Physician
I don't know about your quizzes, but I've found Lawrence to be a painful and inefficient read. I'm doing much better with some of the other texts (case files, recall, etc)... I do plan to get UWorld when my financial aid comes through (long story).

OP
F

FatKid

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 15, 2009
Status
Medical Student
Well, I assume we go to the same school...

You can probably get the books from the library or something, or see if any M4s want to sell there's real cheap. It looks like the quiz questions come from the end of the book chapters, though.
Hey, yeah we probably do...

Are you buying those two books?

SeminoleFan3

10+ Year Member
Mar 3, 2006
Status
Attending Physician
Hey, yeah we probably do...

Are you buying those two books?
I did, but the Navy reimburses me. If they didn't, I would've bought the older editions on Amazon. I agree with using NMS for the shelf, but I think the midterm, final, and quizzes are from material in that book, and that's like 30%.

ucsfstudents

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 6, 2009
Status
Medical Student
Surgical Recall, NMS Surgery, Case Files

Cliff Huxtable

10+ Year Member
Mar 24, 2009
Status
What is the difference between NMS surgery and nms casefiles?
NMS Surgery is like a review book like the BRS series of books.

NMS Casefiles presents different vignettes or scenarios and kind of walks you through the assessments and treatments.