surgery rotations, back pain

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

leorl

Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
how do you guys combat the back pain that comes with standing watching/assisting with the surgery for long hours? I find that my back gets so tight after a couple hours, and after more time, the pain nearly becomes insufferable. Now I'm home on the couch, I cannot get into any comfortable position. Surgery is really cool, I love it...it's just I'm not going to last much longer with having to stand 4+ hours at a time. I know I should get orthotics, but at the moment, can't afford them ($220!)

Members don't see this ad.

go to walmart or target and get some insoles
they have scholl's orthotic insoles for like $10
not bad
they're a decent temporary solution

I also wore tennis shoes as much as possible
new balance is best, but I prefer those nike shoes with huge heel air pockets

Comfy shoes, exercise to keep those back/abdominal muscles well-toned, stretch before/during/after each case.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you have to stand on a lift? I did, and I found it was helpful to hang each leg off the back of the lift, turn at the waist, and stretch when I felt my back getting tight. I found I could often manage this while continuing to hold on to my retractor. Also, change up position and hands while holding that retractor. That, and my oh-so-comfy dansko clogs got me through many a 7 hour neuro case. Oh, and if you have to wear lead, try and grab the kind with the velco fasteners in the front, not the kind with the belt that ties. That way, you can slip out of it while remaining scrubbed. Nothing beats the feeling of losing that lead apron! (well, I guess that's an overstatement, but it sure is nice to get rid of that thing) :D

If you're a DO student, or have fellow DO students on your service, perhaps some osteopathic manipulation might help? :D :smuggrin:

group_theory
Giving useless advice since 1812

Edit: Seriously, I don't know if it will be useful in preventing your backpain, but it might help afterwards. Perhaps some soft tissue, follow by counterstrain or muscle energy or HVLA (if there is an articular dysfunction) might help.

Coming from a DO2b, most of the muscles that tighten up with surgery are the small erector muscles of the spine, and you need to get them toned to maintain posture without pain. The single best thing for this is to start doing floor exercises to strengthen these core muscles, with Pilates being the best thing. If you have any PT friends, ask them to show you how to also stretch properly after Pilates. This is an investment that takes about 30 minutes, 3 times per week, best done in the AM when you wake or evening when you watch TV. I have a regimen, and if I stop it for more than a week the pain comes back. Small price to pay if you really love surgery!!

Thanks PactoDoc. Actually, I recognized that I had poor core stability muscles (it affects me in sport too), so I got a good Pilates video. The problem is trying to find time to do it. Usually have to be into the hosp. by 7:30 and I'm not a morning person, so find waking up early to try to do it is a no go. And I don't get out til 6 sometimes, and then am too tired to want to do anything. I'll try to sort a schedule for it anyway.

the surgeons wear clogs, but the students don't really because we don't have lockers or anything to put our stuff, and try to bring as little as possible to reduce theft. (People have had their clothes stolen and been forced to go home in scrubs). I'm also in Europe, where DO's don't exist (yet) :). I sometimes try to get my PT friends to give me a massage, but none of them are back in school yet. I'm also quite tall so don't need the step thingy :).

I think I managed to find soft comfy dress shoes this weekend, so we'll see how they work out. Thanks for the advice!

leorl said:
the surgeons wear clogs, but the students don't really because we don't have lockers or anything to put our stuff, and try to bring as little as possible to reduce theft.

Many people at my school (myself included) wear clogs on the wards. They come in different colors of leather, so they look fine with professional attire. In the OR, we just put the foot cover things over them. Other people have the rubber clogs, and those get left in the locker room. But if you got a pair of leather danskos, you could wear them pretty much all the time and save your feet on your other rotations too. They are one of the best investments I've made this year.

But then, if I had to choose between clogs or regular massages by a hunky PT student, I might have to ditch the clogs :smuggrin:

Hhehe I dunno. Attire might be a little different here. I don't think we'd feel comfy wearing clogs while in the wards. They're too casual. Most of us go with work / dress shoes. And we don't have lockers to keep stuff in so don't get clogs.

leorl said:
Hhehe I dunno. Attire might be a little different here. I don't think we'd feel comfy wearing clogs while in the wards. They're too casual. Most of us go with work / dress shoes. And we don't have lockers to keep stuff in so don't get clogs.

Oh, the ones I'm talking about have backs on them, so they don't really look too clog-ish. Now you probably think I work for the clog people, I've been going on about them so much... :laugh:

leorl said:
Oh no!! link's not working!! I've been looking online for any kind of comfy shoe...Easy Spirits, Birkenstocks...curious to see yours.

go to dansko.com, click on "our products" then choose "occupational." I have the chick version of the "professional." That seems to be the most popular one around here. They fit kinda strange if you're not used to them. The back part is about a finger width away from your heel, so it doesn't actually touch your foot when you walk. So they fit like a clog but look more like a regular shoe. Like I said, lots of health care folks wear them, and a couple of the local stores actually give discounts if you show your hospital ID.

Good luck on your shoe quest! :D

Go to PT and ask them to show you how to tape your feet (like what athletes do). That works when I wear shoes that can't accomodate orthotics. If you do tape your feet, do buy cheap tape. Cheap tape doesn't stay on long enough.

leorl said:
How do dansko's compare to say...birkenstocks?
I prefer the danskos, but I suppose it's just a matter of personal preference. The soles are totally different. Birks are cork, and after wearing them for a long time, they don't feel that cushiony to me, and my heels hurt. The dansko soles are taller and made of PVC - very hard - and shaped to support your foot, esp when walking. It's hard to explain exactly - you feel like you're being propelled forward at the ball of your foot, and when I'm standing for a long time I sometimes rock back and forth in my shoes to rest my feet. The first couple of days took some getting used to, but now I wouldn't wear anything else. I was on my feet today from 7AM to midnight, and my feet feel totally fine. This coming from a girl who used to get awful foot and shin pain from standing all day in the lab during grad school...

TicDouloureux said:
I prefer the danskos, but I suppose it's just a matter of personal preference. The soles are totally different. Birks are cork, and after wearing them for a long time, they don't feel that cushiony to me, and my heels hurt. The dansko soles are taller and made of PVC - very hard - and shaped to support your foot, esp when walking. It's hard to explain exactly - you feel like you're being propelled forward at the ball of your foot, and when I'm standing for a long time I sometimes rock back and forth in my shoes to rest my feet. The first couple of days took some getting used to, but now I wouldn't wear anything else. I was on my feet today from 7AM to midnight, and my feet feel totally fine. This coming from a girl who used to get awful foot and shin pain from standing all day in the lab during grad school...
That is the perfect description of what I think Danskos feel like! I bought a pair of the Professionals, and they are now my most comfortable shoes, after you break them in a little. Merrill's are also super comfy and look sportier, but don't require any break-in time.