Surgery!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lala1979

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys/girls
I'm pretty new to this forum, but I just wanted to say I watched my first surgery today!!! It was a total hip replacement, and all the doctors and nurses were really nice and helpful. Most helpful was the anesth., he was an MD, and he explained EVERYTHING he was doing and why, and he was sooo nice and funny. It's funny the things the team talks about during surgery. Everything from sports, their kids, the case, when they were in Med school, etc. And the hospital I was at has DO's there. It was a nice experience.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey lala- how did you get to scrub in on a surgery? I've been trying to connive someone to let me get in on one, but haven't had any luck so far. Please let me know how you worked this out...... Thanks!

When I volunteered at my local hospital they let me go into surgery all the time, although I wouldn't say that I "scrubbed in" I mostly stood there and watched. FYI going into surgery was part of the hospitals volunteer program for college kids, they required one year in geriatrics or ER, and then you could switch to OR, which was really cool, except you had to get there at 6:00am. So to make a long story short, find another hospital because there are one's out there that have programs similar to the one I described.

Jim (Sorry about the run-ons :) )