• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

drivesmecraazee

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 1, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Hi.
I've heard many times that urology has a good mix between medicine and surgery. I would like to know which cases (pathologies) you get to manage in the OR and which ones are managed mostly by treatment and medication.
Im interested in uro and ENT as well, I think both have the balance Im looking for but it seems to me that the medical part is a little bit more interesting and complex in urology, and that one takes better diagnosis' skills to be a urologist than an ENT.
Excuse me if my english isn't perfect, it's not my first language.
Thanks for your answers.

StickMe

Registered Loser
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 15, 2005
Tennessee
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
The cancers are surgical cases of course. Kidney stones could be medically managed at first to try and make them pass it before proceeding to the OR. BPH, erectile dysfunction, etc. can be medically managed.

drivesmecraazee

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 1, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
How important are diagnosis skills in urology? More than any other surgical fields?

sponch

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 24, 2002
Palo Alto, CA
Status (Visible)
How important are diagnosis skills in urology? More than any other surgical fields?

not really. most patients come prepackaged for you from their pcps. the nice thing about a specialty field is that you can always say "well, it's definitely not a urologic problem."

About the Ads
This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.