Surgical Instruments Grades and Which brands to stay away from.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
But to answer your question no I am not a physician I am an administrator.

How do any of you know I am not a medical student? You are all making quite a bit of assumptions without any proof. But again the more the merrier.

Plus I learn by using my hands and experiencing the thing rather then reading or watching. So having them at home is a great way to learn how to use them correctly.

There is always room to grow and learn. The day you stop learn is the day you die. So for me I plan to learn as much as possible so I can use that down the road.

So if you're a practice administrator (which btw is why people are "assuming" you aren't a clinician), why do you have so many freaking scalpels? And why is it so important that you know how to use them?

Bottom line, as everyone has said ad nauseam, cost is the top priority for something like a scalpel. For scissors, dissecting clamps, etc (that actually have some differences in quality between manufacturers) the rep brings stuff in and the surgeons trial them. Different surgeons like different qualities in their instruments, which is why trialing them is so important.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
You're really not helping yourself here. Surely you can see that?

How do any of you know I am not a medical student? You are all making quite a bit of assumptions without any proof.

We can tell. It's not our first rodeo. (But even if you were a medical student, you wouldn't have that many scalpels at home.)

But a guarantee that none of you will ever look at your surgical instruments again the same way.

Actually, yes we will. Sorry to burst your bubble, but when I'm at work, this thread never crosses my mind. And I use a scalpel almost every single weekday, every week.

Plus I learn by using my hands and experiencing the thing rather then reading or watching. So having them at home is a great way to learn how to use them correctly.

So you're a self-admitted "administrator" who is trying to learn how to use scalpels? Again, we ask...for what purpose?

The inconsistencies in your story are why we have trouble believing you. It would have been much easier (and you would have gotten must less skeptical replies) if you had just come out and explained what was really going on in your first post. As it is, I hold very little hope for the actual truth to this matter.

(Just FYI, more acceptable explanations would have been:

(1) I'm a gunner preclinical medical student and I'm trying to purchase the best surgical instruments I can, so that I can practice with them and impress my attendings when I'm on my third-year clinical rotations

(2) I'm a surgical instrument sales rep and I'm trying to get a feel for what competitors out there have good reputations among the US surgeons here

(3) I am not in the medical field (I'm not an "administrator") but I'm fascinated by the field of surgery and am trying to build up a huge collection of surgical instruments for my own amusement

(4) I'm a patient who is trying to file a lawsuit against a surgeon, and I'm trying to prove that the scalpel that was used on me was of an inferior quality

Etc. I could go on and on.)

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You're really not helping yourself here. Surely you can see that?

We can tell. It's not our first rodeo. (But even if you were a medical student, you wouldn't have that many scalpels at home.)

Actually, yes we will. Sorry to burst your bubble, but when I'm at work, this thread never crosses my mind. And I use a scalpel almost every single weekday, every week.

So you're a self-admitted "administrator" who is trying to learn how to use scalpels? Again, we ask...for what purpose?

The inconsistencies in your story are why we have trouble believing you. It would have been much easier (and you would have gotten must less skeptical replies) if you had just come out and explained what was really going on in your first post. As it is, I hold very little hope for the actual truth to this matter.

(Just FYI, more acceptable explanations would have been:

(1) I'm a gunner preclinical medical student and I'm trying to purchase the best surgical instruments I can, so that I can practice with them and impress my attendings when I'm on my third-year clinical rotations

(2) I'm a surgical instrument sales rep and I'm trying to get a feel for what competitors out there have good reputations among the US surgeons here

(3) I am not in the medical field (I'm not an "administrator") but I'm fascinated by the field of surgery and am trying to build up a huge collection of surgical instruments for my own amusement

(4) I'm a patient who is trying to file a lawsuit against a surgeon, and I'm trying to prove that the scalpel that was used on me was of an inferior quality

Etc. I could go on and on.)

5) I work in any kind of delicate work and want to highest quality steel...woodworking, florists, science projects, arts and crafts, landscapers, auto detailing, bakers (chefs)... (sold to all of these and many more)

6)Marketing/Advertising

7) Most doctors don't even know the proper names of half of the instruments they use so what does in matter. I've had doctors and their experienced staff ask me similar questions every month for years.

8) Distribution

9) When I sold, for a large distributor, we had people from every aspect of business purchase instruments for all kinds of things. Just because you do not understand the use doesn't make it creepy. Everyone of those instruments at some point had never been heard of and no one knew how it worked until someone smarter than you showed you how and the benefits of trying it their way. Hence the reason why half the instruments are named after the doctors that pioneered their use (mayo, adson, crile, pederson, graves, weitlaner...)

5) I work in any kind of delicate work and want to highest quality steel...woodworking, florists, science projects, arts and crafts, landscapers, auto detailing, bakers (chefs)... (sold to all of these and many more)

6)Marketing/Advertising

7) Most doctors don't even know the proper names of half of the instruments they use so what does in matter. I've had doctors and their experienced staff ask me similar questions every month for years.

8) Distribution

9) When I sold, for a large distributor, we had people from every aspect of business purchase instruments for all kinds of things. Just because you do not understand the use doesn't make it creepy. Everyone of those instruments at some point had never been heard of and no one knew how it worked until someone smarter than you showed you how and the benefits of trying it their way. Hence the reason why half the instruments are named after the doctors that pioneered their use (mayo, adson, crile, pederson, graves, weitlaner...)

Just out of curiosity, why did you register as a new user and start an account just to post that?

Especially since you haven't posted since...and the thread is almost a year old...

Reactions: 2 users
This is becoming the Dyatlov Pass incident of forum threads.