Surgical services tech vs surgical tech (scrub)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LongShotLouie

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey I just started a job as a surgical services tech (sst) and I was wondering if it would count as “patient exposure”? An SST doesn’t need a cert here but a scrub tech does and I think scrubs get to interact with the patients more.

I never get to talk to any of the patients but I come in when they are finished with the procedures and the patients still under anesthesia. I’ve gotten to turn patients and move them to their bed but that will be the extent of my exposure to them (potentially getting to hold them in place during some procedures too). Will this count as clinical experience?

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
you are around patients, you are interacting and working with physicians and other providers, actually taking part in procedures!! 100% clinical experience. If you have the time and its not a financial issue to become a scrub tech, go for it, broaden your horizons and learn more, but SST is perfectly fine.

Reactions: 1 user