surprised about lack of movement post 5/15

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KatKlink

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i thought there was going to be a surge of acceptances but i am seriously underwhelmed by what i've seen on sdn. since i am on 5 waitlists, i am checking my email and my phone incessantly. am i jumping the gun?

if anyone has experience with this from past years, please fill me in. do schools wait for all the withdrawals before they give out more spots? what's the deal?

thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I know some schools go back to their applications once the withdrawals start again and reevaluate them. It could be a long road... But I bet they start coming soon... :)

I'm a little surprised too, but since they wouldn't know until the 16th, it'll probably take a week or so to process their waitlist and send out more acceptances. I think they'll move more early next week.

Members don't see this ad :)
um my calendar says it's May 17th, i've actually seen more movement than I would have thought. Patience is a virtue of a good doctor. :thumbup: Best of luck!

I hope not to have to have too much more patience. We all applied about a 1 year ago and still it is on going. This process is just so long and grueling.

phishman10 said:
I hope not to have to have too much more patience. We all applied about a 1 year ago and still it is on going. This process is just so long and grueling.

Jeez it's only Tuesday

the adcoms just starting coordinating withdrawals yesterday.

i was accepted to osu today

KatKlink said:
i thought there was going to be a surge of acceptances but i am seriously underwhelmed by what i've seen on sdn. since i am on 5 waitlists, i am checking my email and my phone incessantly. am i jumping the gun?

if anyone has experience with this from past years, please fill me in. do schools wait for all the withdrawals before they give out more spots? what's the deal?

thanks.
Hey, I hear ya. I'm pretty sure the adcoms just need time to sort through everything. And if you're jumping the gun, I'm right there with you. Waiting's tough.

I am on a waitlist that as of today has accepted 2 on the list. Assuming most people indicated their final decision by Sunday a simple count of Yays versus Nays shouldn't have taken too long on Monday. I expect the waitlists aren't going to move much beyond the end of this week. Does anyone know if I'm right?

emusibay said:
I am on a waitlist that as of today has accepted 2 on the list. Assuming most people indicated their final decision by Sunday a simple count of Yays versus Nays shouldn't have taken too long on Monday. I expect the waitlists aren't going to move much beyond the end of this week. Does anyone know if I'm right?
How do you really know? None of us actually sits on an adcom, so none of us really knows what goes on. Why are we all torturing ourselves by trying to figure out what they're thinking when we really have no idea? Before I started applying last year, a med student told me that the whole admissions process is "some kind of hell." Now I know exactly what he means. When is this all going to end? Someone PLEASE tell me when!!! :(

I've been told (by people in an admissions office) that some schools will wait a couple of weeks for the snail mail to roll in before really getting to the bulk of the waitlist movement. They would wait a couple of weeks or even into June before gettin' it done. So, keep your head up and your fingers crossed. G'luck

emusibay said:
no, then they have to re-evaluate their waitlist and the corresponding applications, unless the waitlists are numbered.

DocStretch said:
I've been told (by people in an admissions office) that some schools will wait a couple of weeks for the snail mail to roll in before really getting to the bulk of the waitlist movement. They would wait a couple of weeks or even into June before gettin' it done. So, keep your head up and your fingers crossed. G'luck
now that's more what i'd expect. I know it's difficult waiting but there's still plenty of time, so don't give up hope yet. Hang in there....

The reason that you don't see an incredible surge of acceptances immediately following May 15 is because all medical schools over-enroll. For the most part they will not start serious waitlist movement until the class size is down to final desired figures. If you check movement from past years you'll notice that the bulk of it occurs in June/July. This is the time period when schools have the correct number of enrolled students and must replace every withdrawal with a waitlistee.

size_tens said:
The reason that you don't see an incredible surge of acceptances immediately following May 15 is because all medical schools over-enroll. For the most part they will not start serious waitlist movement until the class size is down to final desired figures. If you check movement from past years you'll notice that the bulk of it occurs in June/July. This is the time period when schools have the correct number of enrolled students and must replace every withdrawal with a waitlistee.
well said size_tens....just hang in there guys

Ah, patience, yes.

Been waiting basically a year now, a few more weeks can't hurt...

*Pulls hair out, chews nails off*

Well, I know MCW hasn't ranked anyone yet (we call for that 05/20), and the AECOM people keep telling me ad infinum "A few weeks, a few weeks...".