-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Survey for Girls Only
Started by Its Z
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I read an interesting comment from an auto forum. Guys were talking about what kind of car to get for their 16 year old daughters. Many say teaching their daughters to drive a manual transmission was the best thing to do as driving a standard shift made them focus on driving instead of texting etc. Also, none of their daughter's friends could drive a stick which prevented others from driving it.
Was curious if girls driving a stick was a safer driver. Just an anecdotal survey.
Was curious if girls driving a stick was a safer driver. Just an anecdotal survey.
I read an interesting comment from an auto forum. Guys were talking about what kind of car to get for their 16 year old daughters. Many say teaching their daughters to drive a manual transmission was the best thing to do as driving a standard shift made them focus on driving instead of texting etc. Also, none of their daughter's friends could drive a stick which prevented others from driving it.
Was curious if girls driving a stick was a safer driver. Just an anecdotal survey.
You are one clever SOB I tell ya...
You are one clever SOB I tell ya...
Hey hey....I'm running a legit survey here.. for realz. 😀
I learned to drive a stick in Britain where the cars are all flipped around...I don't think I could do it for real on streets in busy towns. I'm perfectly content with my automatic Nissan Versa.
I had a friend who had a manual transmission in high school. The car would always stall out...sometimes it was her fault and sometimes it was because it was just a really old car. So there's that to consider.
I had a friend who had a manual transmission in high school. The car would always stall out...sometimes it was her fault and sometimes it was because it was just a really old car. So there's that to consider.
Not a girl, but my GF drives a stick. I think all the points you mention are plausible.
As for accidents...she has been in 2...Both times she was not at fault.
It is a good skill to have. It is kind of like swimming. You may not like to do it, but if a situation arouse in which you have to. Then you want to be able to.
As for accidents...she has been in 2...Both times she was not at fault.
It is a good skill to have. It is kind of like swimming. You may not like to do it, but if a situation arouse in which you have to. Then you want to be able to.
Many say teaching their daughters to drive a manual transmission was the best thing to do as driving a standard shift made them focus on driving instead of texting etc. Also, none of their daughter's friends could drive a stick which prevented others from driving it.
This actually sounds really clever.
Wish my parents had taught to me drive a stick.
My dad made me learn when I was 16 because he drove a stick shift. That way, if his car was the only car at the house, I could always get away if there was an emergency. Oh yes, the mind of an engineer...
Interesting theory about texting and driving, but I admit it doesn't always stop me.
Interesting theory about texting and driving, but I admit it doesn't always stop me.

I can't drive stick.
I've driven a standard for about 8 years now. As far as multitasking in a standard, practice makes perfect!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I read an interesting comment from an auto forum. Guys were talking about what kind of car to get for their 16 year old daughters. Many say teaching their daughters to drive a manual transmission was the best thing to do as driving a standard shift made them focus on driving instead of texting etc. Also, none of their daughter's friends could drive a stick which prevented others from driving it.
Was curious if girls driving a stick was a safer driver. Just an anecdotal survey.
I totally agree with this Z, my wife learned on and drove a stick and having her know that not only meant she could be able to drive some of the cars I wanted (why have an auto sports car, right?) but also is a more aware driver. Most people are surprised that she can drive a stick too. To someone elses post, I also agree that most "men" nowadays can't drive one either, let alone do even the most basic work on their car or home. It's a shame to have friends that are in their late 20s call and ask me about changing an air filter, etc. Now when they ask about how to repair their HVAC system, etc I give them a pass b/c most people don't know about the more technical stuff. On that point, I had to tell off a "salesman" hvac tech (ie not a true tradesman) a few months ago at my inlaws beach house b/c he sprayed some H2o on their condenser and said it was toast b/c it still wouldn't cool, then proceeded to produce a contract for 6k to replace their system; then I showed up and told him to leave, I opened up the unit and what'd ya know, the A coil was froze up (from low freon) , after a few bucks of r22 it was back up and cooling again, and the leak it so small it prob won't need recharged again for a couple years. Sorry about the rant, point is most people aren't like you or me Z, and unfortunately they get taken advantage of when it comes to cars, homes, etc. Could tell you another one about a few weeks ago when I cleaned the IACV on one of the techs at my hospitals Lexus in the parking garage after I got off work and saved her some serious bucks in unnecessary repairs.
Last edited:
I'm a dude but my wife can drive stick and we just bought a new car that's stick.
Not sure when you'd plop a new driver into a standard but I honestly don't think you should learn to stick right off the bat. It's just one more thing a brand new driver needs to worry about while worrying about ALL the other stuff. Once licensed and competent then by all means slap them in a standard. I don't know how much it will prevent texting, but it's a good life skill to learn and comes in handy a lot.
But don't be surprised when you have to put a new clutch in it because she taught all her friends to drive stick with the car or becasue she let her male friends romp around in it
Not sure when you'd plop a new driver into a standard but I honestly don't think you should learn to stick right off the bat. It's just one more thing a brand new driver needs to worry about while worrying about ALL the other stuff. Once licensed and competent then by all means slap them in a standard. I don't know how much it will prevent texting, but it's a good life skill to learn and comes in handy a lot.
But don't be surprised when you have to put a new clutch in it because she taught all her friends to drive stick with the car or becasue she let her male friends romp around in it
I can drive a stick. Doesnt mean I want to, but I can. My first car was an 89 Honda accord hatchback. I wrecked it twice. Once was my fault. I was talking on the phone and pulled out in front of someone. I was also holding a can of Pepsi between my legs so it looked like I wet myself during the accident. Classy.
My dad made me learn when I was 16 because he drove a stick shift. That way, if his car was the only car at the house, I could always get away if there was an emergency. Oh yes, the mind of an engineer...
Interesting theory about texting and driving, but I admit it doesn't always stop me.![]()
This made me laugh so hard. I know exactly the kind of thought process you are referring to...
I read an interesting comment from an auto forum. Guys were talking about what kind of car to get for their 16 year old daughters. Many say teaching their daughters to drive a manual transmission was the best thing to do as driving a standard shift made them focus on driving instead of texting etc. Also, none of their daughter's friends could drive a stick which prevented others from driving it.
Was curious if girls driving a stick was a safer driver. Just an anecdotal survey.
I'm a girl (Gustav is my dog). I learned how to drive on a Jeep Wrangler that is a stick. I've never caused an accident. I think the data shows that teenage boys cause more accidents than anyone else.
I'm a girl (Gustav is my dog). I learned how to drive on a Jeep Wrangler that is a stick. I've never caused an accident. I think the data shows that teenage boys cause more accidents than anyone else.
"Based on annual statistics, it seems that men are involved in more accidents than women. However, annual reporting does not take into account the fact that men drive more miles than women, on average, and are therefore exposed to traffic situations more often. In fact, when the statistics are reevaluated on an accident per mile basis, adult men and women come out nearly even!"
Part of an article on insurance costs. The data is always skewed towards males because they typically are involved in deadlier crashes due to speeding, drunk driving, and trying to show off. I cannot find any statistics that rate non-fatal crashes on male vs female, but I would assume that females are probably in more fender-benders then males.
Do you know how to drive a stick? I mean standard transmission car.
Not a girl, but I do know how to drive manual transmission. I believe that the only way a person should be allowed to drive automatic is if they are missing a left foot or a right hand.
I hate those tiptronic DSG/SMG things that they try to pass off as manual transmission. Yeah, they are faster than what a human can do, but they are not as fun. Only time those DSG/SMG things are useful is when you are going 150+ mph on a curvy race track.
"Based on annual statistics, it seems that men are involved in more accidents than women. However, annual reporting does not take into account the fact that men drive more miles than women, on average, and are therefore exposed to traffic situations more often. In fact, when the statistics are reevaluated on an accident per mile basis, adult men and women come out nearly even!"
Part of an article on insurance costs. The data is always skewed towards males because they typically are involved in deadlier crashes due to speeding, drunk driving, and trying to show off. I cannot find any statistics that rate non-fatal crashes on male vs female, but I would assume that females are probably in more fender-benders then males.
Yeah, I drive about 25k miles/year. The accidents that I have been in, the other driver was a female. Speed was a factor on my part, but not paying attention was a factor on their part. Each time they claimed they didn't see me coming up and moved into my way while I was in their blind spot.
all but my most recent cars have been sticks. I definitely text and drive more now...
knock on wood, no accidents in the 13 years I've been driving.
It is illegal to text and drive in GA. Not sure if it's illegal in all states though.
It is illegal to text and drive in GA. Not sure if it's illegal in all states though.
Same in NY. It's not just texting though, it's using any handheld electronic device.
It's also illegal to drive 56mph when the speed limit is 55mph. I think the compliance rates are similar on those laws.It is illegal to text and drive in GA. Not sure if it's illegal in all states though.
i just skewed your data (unless you can see who voted)
kids should learn how to drive stick, push start/jumpstart a car, etc! valuable life skillz.
kids should learn how to drive stick, push start/jumpstart a car, etc! valuable life skillz.
Driving a stick definitely makes you a more aware driver and subsequently, a better driver. My wife's new car is a manual. Heavily persuaded her to get it. Plus for us as it turns out the automatic tranny is littered with problems (Ford Fiesta) but other than that the car is pretty solid. She even commented on it making her a more observant driver (although I did receive all kinds of hell when teaching her as she thought she'd never learn).
I'd say the major drawl back of this is when I'm finally able to afford a sporty car again, there's nothing stopping her from taking it out
I'd say the major drawl back of this is when I'm finally able to afford a sporty car again, there's nothing stopping her from taking it out
Literally what I learned to drive a stick on...little different than a car though...
In an emergency situation, yes, I could. But I'm really bad at it and would probably ruin the transmission.
I have never been in an accident that was my fault, however (was rear-ended once while stopped at a light). So I'm not sure the safety theory holds, but the idea behind it is worth considering.
I have never been in an accident that was my fault, however (was rear-ended once while stopped at a light). So I'm not sure the safety theory holds, but the idea behind it is worth considering.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Literally what I learned to drive a stick on...little different than a car though...
![]()
Sweet! 👍
For those of you boys who responded to the poll designed for girls only... I have one question. Why?
![]()
Gender Identity Crisis

I voted "no" because there are zero females that I personally know who drive manual. Since none of them are members who could participate in your poll, I voted for them.For those of you boys who responded to the poll designed for girls only... I have one question. Why?
![]()
I'm another girl who learned to drive stick because my dad felt it's an essential life skill. My first car was stick, on which I tried to teach my husband to drive stick, failing because I couldn't take all the gear-grinding.
Having a manual transmission car is handy when you have many car-less friends who have a propensity for borrowing your stuff. Here in the city, most people don't drive stick, though I'm thinking the %age is higher in rural areas. In 12 years, anybody who ever asked to borrow my car could not because they couldn't do the 5-on-the-floor.
Maybe women are more likely to text and drive, but since we're unfairly generalizing here, men are more likely to be impulsive risk-taking road ragers. So there.
Having a manual transmission car is handy when you have many car-less friends who have a propensity for borrowing your stuff. Here in the city, most people don't drive stick, though I'm thinking the %age is higher in rural areas. In 12 years, anybody who ever asked to borrow my car could not because they couldn't do the 5-on-the-floor.
Maybe women are more likely to text and drive, but since we're unfairly generalizing here, men are more likely to be impulsive risk-taking road ragers. So there.
Maybe women are more likely to text and drive, but since we're unfairly generalizing here, men are more likely to be impulsive risk-taking road ragers. So there.
I had been driving stick car for 3 years since I was 14, then I switched to auto. Will never go back to stick... too damn lazy... 😡 I enjoy texting, browsing, drinking, and eating burgers and road rage once in a while when I am driving; there is no way I am giving this up. I've never gotten my self into accident for 14 years of driving. And, it's probably the reason why I only have liability coverage @ $100k-250k also. Oh! I got 3 speeding tickets in a year; 2 of the tickets I got them 3 days apart~ >_>;
Now, I learn my lesson to never drive past 75 miles/hour... Cops tend to pull me over every time I drive 80/hr -.- been 1 year+ and I haven't gotten any speeding tickets since following this rule lol...
I had been driving stick car for 3 years since I was 14, then I switched to auto. Will never go back to stick... too damn lazy... 😡 I enjoy texting, browsing, drinking, and eating burgers and road rage once in a while when I am driving; there is no way I am giving this up. I've never gotten my self into accident for 14 years of driving. And, it's probably the reason why I only have liability coverage @ $100k-250k also. Oh! I got 3 speeding tickets in a year; 2 of the tickets I got them 3 days apart~ >_>;
Now, I learn my lesson to never drive past 75 miles/hour... Cops tend to pull me over every time I drive 80/hr -.- been 1 year+ and I haven't gotten any speeding tickets since following this rule lol...
Invest in a radar/laser detector.
Invest in a radar/laser detector.
Learn to enjoy high rpm acceleration and hard turns without breaking the speed limit where its safe and you will enjoy driving much more. If you have the need to speed then track.
I'm another girl who learned to drive stick because my dad felt it's an essential life skill. My first car was stick, on which I tried to teach my husband to drive stick, failing because I couldn't take all the gear-grinding.
Having a manual transmission car is handy when you have many car-less friends who have a propensity for borrowing your stuff. Here in the city, most people don't drive stick, though I'm thinking the %age is higher in rural areas. In 12 years, anybody who ever asked to borrow my car could not because they couldn't do the 5-on-the-floor.
Maybe women are more likely to text and drive, but since we're unfairly generalizing here, men are more likely to be impulsive risk-taking road ragers. So there.
Want your hubster to learn to drive a stick? Buy yourself a midlife crisis sports car with a stick shift. Tell him he can take it out whenever he wants.
Learn to enjoy high rpm acceleration and hard turns without breaking the speed limit where its safe and you will enjoy driving much more. If you have the need to speed then track.
You're in Texas though right? You guys are lucky with your 75 mph-85 mph speed limits. Here in NY, we have 55 mph on the god damn freeways. I don't know about you, but when I'm going 55 mph, I feel like I'm not moving at all. Also, all the nice curves we have on the roads here makes it more enjoyable to go 70-80.
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8UAvf3xX0o[/YOUTUBE]
How I drive on a usual daily basis, except I signal and look before pulling off any radical lane changes. Keep in mind though, this kind of driving would not be necessary if the slow drivers stayed out of the left lane.
Hmmm, where the choice "I familiar enough to drive a stick in an emergency, but not qualified enough to drive a stick for everyday use."?
I'm a girl and I drove a stick shift suv for years. I think it is an important skill to know but wouldn't make a brand new driver go through it. I learned when I was 18. My dad was a horrible teacher and so once I had the basics down I would drive his car to practice in without him. I did get into an accident in the stick shift suv where I rearended someone on the highway but that was in the days before texting.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 514
- Replies
- 2
- Views
- 2K