Survival of the fittest!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Three-Oh

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Let me apologize in advance (Sorry, I speak my mind).

I've read countless threads on this forum. And to be quite honest, 70% are a waste of time! Questions like, how do I study for the DAT? Or, What are the best study guides available?

But the question that always gets to me is, How do I stay Motivated?

Let it be known, nobody cares how motivated you are. And neither should you! If you want a better shot at getting into dental school, you need to do well on you DAT. It's That Simple!

If your Motivated, GOOD JOB! But that will only take you 25% on your way.
If your not Motivated, DON'T WORRY, because doing well on the DAT is all about ENDURANCE!

Some More Information on ENDURANCE

noun 1: the power to withstand hardship or stress; "the marathon tests a runner's endurance" 2: a state of surviving; remaining alive

Put in the TIME, and you will see RESULTS

TIME = RESULTS, and RESULTS = 20's, therefore, TIME = 20's

For those of you studying for the DAT, DO NOT GIVE UP! WORK HARD! And I promise you that you'll reap the rewards! It's all about TIME, TIME, TIME, TIME (the amount you put in when studying)

If your not taking a poop, if your not eating, if your not sleeping, if your not working, if your not going to summer classes, then, you should be studying for your DAT. And if your not at a desk, or not in a library, you should be going over what you've just learned in your mind! If you don't know where to start - who cares! Just pick up a Book (Schaums, Text, Biology, Chemisty, Some Reading Passages - IT DOESN'T MATTER! - and start somewhere)

Remember the purpose of the DAT - It's not the MCAT. It's purely OBJECTIVE. They give you the question, and you choose the right answer. That Simple - no trick answers, it's testing what you should know, that's all!

STUDY, STUDY, STUDY. Get away from SDN for awhile, come back and report your 20's next month, or whenever you take the DAT.

PUT IN THE TIME. Again, it doesn't matter if your not motivated! Don't worry, just get your backside up and open some books and start somewhere. STAY up as long as you can. Start Drinking Coffee! Get into a routine! Do whatever it takes. TIME = 20's.

THE DAT IS NOT HARD - BUT IF YOU WANT TO DO WELL - STUDY HARD AND PUT IN THE TIME!

It's not about motivation, it's about endurance.

As Darwin put it - Survival of the fittest!

As one member put it, I've taken you to the river, the rest is up to you...

Members don't see this ad.

Three-Oh said:
...As one member put it, I've taken you to the river, the rest is up to you...

"[You]'ve taken [me] to the river, the rest is up to [me]" -> I am drowning myself. :laugh: :laugh:
I'll do horrible anyways. So, why should I motivate myself? ;)

dat_student said:
"[You]'ve taken [me] to the river, the rest is up to [me]" -> I am drowning myself. :laugh: :laugh:
I'll do horrible anyways. So, why should I motivate myself? ;)

If you think you'll do horrible, then I'll be the first to tell you that you WILL do horrible.

Get rid of these poison thoughts! Focus at the Task at hand.

Make a mental note of 20's across the board on the DAT. Now implant that vision in the back of your mind. NOW DO IT. Easier said than done - I know! But believe me - it's possible!

Just follow my advice - don't waste TIME, and start STUDYING

Come back, Post those 20's, and tell us how you did it!

Three-Oh said:
If you think you'll do horrible, then I'll be the first to tell you that you WILL do horrible.

Get rid of these poison thoughts! Focus at the Task at hand.

Make a mental note of 20's across the board on the DAT. Now implant that vision in the back of your mind. NOW DO IT. Easier said than done - I know! But believe me - it's possible!

Just follow my advice - don't waste TIME, and start STUDYING

Come back, Post those 20's, and tell us how you did it!

Thanks, but I cannot do it. I feel that I need a vacation now. I'll be happy if I get 10s.

Members don't see this ad :)
dat_student said:
Thanks, but I cannot do it. I feel that I need a vacation now. I'll be happy if I get 10s.

If you've decided that you cannot do it - then I cannot help you. If you feel you need a vacation right now - go ahead. If you'd be happy with 10s, then I'll be happy for you.

You at least made the effor to join SDN - So that shows something!

The ball is in your court, I did my best to give you a push, and hopefully I've guided you to the light...the rest is up to you!

BTW - was it you answering those chem questions on this forum, or someone else? :rolleyes:

Three-Oh said:
If you've decided that you cannot do it - then I cannot help you. If you feel you need a vacation right now - go ahead. If you'd be happy with 10s, then I'll be happy for you.

You at least made the effor to join SDN - So that shows something!

The ball is in your court, I did my best to give you a push, and hopefully I've guided you to the light...the rest is up to you!

BTW - was it you answering those chem questions on this forum, or someone else? :rolleyes:

I joined SDN to enjoy others' success. Not sure which questions you are referring to.

dat_student said:
I joined SDN to enjoy others' success. Not sure which questions you are referring to.

You have the quality to be a dentist. But it is important to one day bask in the glory of your own accomplishments too. Your not conceded, which is good, but you need a little 'PUSH'.

Sorry, I can't help you anymore, the rest is up to you...

Take my advice for what it's worth.

Three-Oh said:

Seems like an ugly habit you've picked up over the years.

I've read countless threads on this forum. And to be quite honest, 70% are a waste of time!
Then why are you still reading them? Threads like this one typify the worst of the worst.

Questions like, how do I study for the DAT? Or, What are the best study guides available?

What's wrong with asking which study guides are the best from students who have scored over a 20 on the DAT?

For those of you studying for the DAT, DO NOT GIVE UP! WORK HARD! And I promise you that you'll reap the rewards! It's all about TIME, TIME, TIME, TIME (the amount you put in when studying)

No ****

If your not taking a poop, if your not eating, if your not sleeping, if your not working, if your not going to summer classes, then, you should be studying for your DAT.

You're way out of your element here. The DAT is a piece of cake compared to any other standardized test out there.

And if your not at a desk, or not in a library, you should be going over what you've just learned in your mind! If you don't know where to start - who cares! Just pick up a Book (Schaums, Text, Biology, Chemisty, Some Reading Passages - IT DOESN'T MATTER! - and start somewhere)

Hypocrisy shines! First you say this:

Questions like, how do I study for the DAT? Or, What are the best study guides available?

And then you have the audacity to mention Schaum's, which is probably a tip that you picked up on this very website. Pathetic

Remember the purpose of the DAT - It's not the MCAT. It's purely OBJECTIVE. They give you the question, and you choose the right answer. That Simple - no trick answers, it's testing what you should know, that's all!

Gee, you think so? :idea:

WOW! I was just trying to motivate others (and myself) - that's all!

I was just kidding

Then why are you still reading them? Threads like this one typify the worst of the worst.

My way of motivating others to get away from SDN and start STUDYING. Thanks for your honest input.

What's wrong with asking which study guides are the best from students who have scored over a 20 on the DAT?

What works for one person wouldn't work for everyone else. It's important to see what your comfortable with. By all means, see what other people used - get some ideas - but your as capable as they are to make above 20's - remember that! And choose your own path.

No **** (refering to puting in TIME)

Believe me, some people get lazy (I was one of them).

You're way out of your element here. The DAT is a piece of cake compared to any other standardized test out there.

Easy for you too say. But I'm a member of the Under 3.0 Club. I don't remember my freshman year! I was too drunk! There are others like me too!

And then you have the audacity to mention Schaum's, which is probably a tip that you picked up on this very website. Pathetic

Actually - your right, I did pick the advice up from this website. That was the other 30% I was refering too!

Sorry if my OP insulted you in any way. I just wanted to motivate others. I hope you see my intentions were overall positive.

THIS SHOULD HELP: (Probably one of the greatest Posts on SDN, thanks honestpredent)]

honestpredent said:
There really is no secret to succeeding on the DAT. If you put in the time, you will reap the rewards. I DONT KNOW ONE PERSON WHO HAS PUT IN THE TIME THAT DIDNT SUCCEED ON THE DAT! This is not the MCAT. The DAT is not an IQ/thinking test. You can memorize your way to high scores if you put in the time. The biggest hurdle to the DAT is putting in the time. It's easier said than done. It's about endurance. Some people start off with good intentions but don't finish when preparing for the exam. Be a closer and not a quitter. Don't worry about not putting enough time; just make sure you put in at least 1-2 months worth of studying from 5-8 hours per day. This advice doesn't apply to everyone especially those who already know the science well. But to most test takers who forgot their pre-med classes and need to review all over again, 2 months at 5-8 hours per day is not asking for a lot if you want to score in the 20's. 2 months is nothing in the long scheme of things. You can do it.

I have noticed that there is a group of scared procrastinators on this forum. They have been asking DAT advice for nearly a year now. If these people would have spent that time studying instead of worrying and asking too many questions on SDN seeking the secret of scoring high on the exam, those people would have probably had 20/20 scores by now. Some people on this forum are really intimidated by it and they don't put in the effort as a result. They procrastinate and spend most of their time on here asking questions on how to improve their score when they don't put any effort in to begin with. Don't be one of those posters. Don't keep coming back here and asking for advice. Get away from SDN and your social circle for about 2 months and study 5-8 hours per day and you will score 20's.

My advice would be to memorize as much as you can from the big Kaplan book before taking any practice tests. Practice tests won't help you if you are missing nearly every problem because your fund of knowledge is limited. Practice tests only help when you are competent enough to answer most questions correctly or can limit your answer choices to at least 2 per question.

Don't waste time reading textbooks unless it is for Biology. It would be nice to understand the material in depth by supplementing the information with textbooks, but you don't have time for that now. People have memorized their way to great scores on the DAT. Yes, I'm aware that if you want to score 23+ in any section, a thorough understanding of the material is requird, but you don't need a 23+ in each section to succeed on the DAT. And most of those people who scored 24+ learned the material the first time around in their classes. I don't think reading textbooks is a bad idea but for many of you, textbook reading will just add to your stress and already long list of things to do to prepare for the DAT. You can eliminate this extra task and stress by just focusing ont the Kaplan book for the science sections.

I agree with the advice above. The Gen. Chem and O chem sections of the Kaplan book will adequately prepare you for the exam. You don't need any other source. If you use too many sources, you could get bogged down. Keep it simple and study. The biology section is lacking and I would read Campbell on evolution, eccology and classification to supplement the Kaplan biology section. Exam Krackers has a nice biology book. Other than biology, don't bother with a textbook.

Verbal, Math and PAT success is unfortunately due only to practice. The more you practice it, the better you will get. You can't memorize your way to succeeding on those sections.

Once you have the material memorized, practice on Topscore. Topscore is a computer simulated program that can be purchased on Amazon. It's almost a necessity as its practice tests most resemble the real DAT overall. Sure some sections on Topscore like the PAT are easier than the real thing. But the academic portions on Topscore are harder than the real DAT so it should prepare you very well.

I can't promise that you will score in the 20's if you do all of the above but I'm certain you will score at least 18 at the very worst and that will get you into dental school.

Lastly, if you join the Kaplan review course, that is not a bad idea. You don't need it and the only thing you will use are its resourse. If you have the money, go ahead and sign up for it. If you don't have the money, don't worry about it becaus you won't be at disadvantage. You can usually purchase Kaplan review material from ex test-takers in the classifieds.

CONCLUSION: Now that you know what to do. DONT PROCRASTINATE. Starting Studying! Get away from this website and study. Come back and post your scores and help the next test taker(s). :)

I intend to take the DAT until I get over 20+ for every section before I finish my undergrad degree. I expect myself to take it about 3 times or more b/c I want a stellar score. Would taking the DAT too many times be looked down by the adcom?

Must be that day of the month...

psiyung said:

No ****

Hypocrisy shines! First you say this:

Gee, you think so? :idea:

dentwannabe said:
can you help me move the mouse to the correct answers during the actual test?

thanks, appreciate it.

For correct answers, the font size is usually 13; for the rest font size = 12. That's is how computers can tell which answer is correct and which is wrong. This is how computers grade tests. ;) If you closely look at the pixels on your computer monitor you can tell the difference. For the real DAT the ratio maybe 14:13 or 12:11. In any case, the difference should be obvious after a little practice.

Three-Oh said:

I've read countless threads on this forum. And to be quite honest, 70% are a waste of time! Questions like, how do I study for the DAT? Or, What are the best study guides available?

Let it be known, nobody cares how motivated you are. And neither should you! If you want a better shot at getting into dental school, you need to do well on you DAT. It's That Simple!

If your not Motivated, DON'T WORRY, because doing well on the DAT is all about ENDURANCE!

noun 1: the power to withstand hardship or stress; "the marathon tests a runner's endurance" 2: a state of surviving; remaining alive

If your not taking a poop, if your not eating, if your not sleeping, if your not working, if your not going to summer classes, then, you should be studying for your DAT. And if your not at a desk, or not in a library, you should be going over what you've just learned in your mind! If you don't know where to start - who cares! Just pick up a Book (Schaums, Text, Biology, Chemisty, Some Reading Passages - IT DOESN'T MATTER! - and start somewhere)

STUDY, STUDY, STUDY. Get away from SDN for awhile, come back and report your 20's next month, or whenever you take the DAT.

PUT IN THE TIME. Again, it doesn't matter if your not motivated! Don't worry, just get your backside up and open some books and start somewhere. STAY up as long as you can. Start Drinking Coffee! Get into a routine! Do whatever it takes. TIME = 20's.

THE DAT IS NOT HARD - BUT IF YOU WANT TO DO WELL - STUDY HARD AND PUT IN THE TIME!

I think this post itself qualifies as one of the 70% of posts on SDN that are a waste of time. :rolleyes:

Three-Oh said:

Ianwright is back. You are not welcome, please leave and quit wasting space on this forum. Thank you and have a nice day.