"Surviving Medical School" books

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doinmybest5840

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So now that I have an acceptance in hand, I've been thinking about what medical school will really be like. I kind of want to buy some sort of book(s) to prepare myself. Not to learn the material before I start, but more to prepare myself by learning to study more efficiently. As is, I feel I do pretty well, but I know I could find better ways to study. That being said, from what I've seen on Amazon, most (if not all) of these survival guide-type books are written by MDs. I was just wondering if anybody knows of such books written by DOs, even though the experience is likely quite similar at both schools. Also, if anybody has any particular recommendations for books to read, that would be appreciated. I might be going a bit overboard by wanting to buy these books, but I know how I am, and I think they will help me. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Well since DO schools are easier than MD schools, any book written by an MD would more than prepare you. :laugh: But seriously, that is an interesting question. I could probably use some of that help too because I haven't exactly been taking a lot of hardcore science classes lately. :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad :)
So now that I have an acceptance in hand, I've been thinking about what medical school will really be like. I kind of want to buy some sort of book(s) to prepare myself. Not to learn the material before I start, but more to prepare myself by learning to study more efficiently. As is, I feel I do pretty well, but I know I could find better ways to study. That being said, from what I've seen on Amazon, most (if not all) of these survival guide-type books are written by MDs. I was just wondering if anybody knows of such books written by DOs, even though the experience is likely quite similar at both schools. Also, if anybody has any particular recommendations for books to read, that would be appreciated. I might be going a bit overboard by wanting to buy these books, but I know how I am, and I think they will help me. Thanks.

I noticed that too while at Barnes and Noble the other day...all are MD books. I'm actually putting a few on my Christmas list! I would suggest you read "When the Air Hits Your Brain" and "Partners of the Heart" not really med school prep books but they are really good. "Intern Blues" was recommended to me by a med student but I'm having trouble really getting into it. Kaplan also has a really good prep book for years 1&2 but it's prep for USMLE 1.

Well since DO schools are easier than MD schools, any book written by an MD would more than prepare you. :laugh: But seriously, that is an interesting question. I could probably use some of that help too because I haven't exactly been taking a lot of hardcore science classes lately. :rolleyes:

Disagree >.>a I think that certain schools will be more/less difficult than others, but ultimately, the COMs require that students take OMM. MD programs don't require that.

Just my thoughts... ^.^

<3

Disagree >.>a I think that certain schools will be more/less difficult than others, but ultimately, the COMs require that students take OMM. MD programs don't require that.

Just my thoughts... ^.^

<3

I think that he was joking with that comment there was a ":laugh:" after his statement.

Just my opinion, but honestly, I think you would find better information by doing a search and reading some of the "how do I study" threads that regularly pop up in the Allopathic and Osteopathic forums, than by buying a book. In the end, you will have to figure out what works for you, and no book can tell you that.

As far as books written by DOs, it's just a numbers game. A small % of docs write books, and a small % of docs are DOs, so....

The only book kind of like what you are talking about written by a DO that I know about is "Pimp Protector", and that's for rotations, not the preclinical years. That book's written by "Quinn", a DO who has been on here for along time and whom I believe is an NSU grad.

To the OP and other's interested in finding a book on how to prep for med school:

Personally, I wouldn't bother. Like an above poster commented...your best source is probably this site. In addition, there really is no way to prepare in the sense that everyone's experience is unique. Some people do nothing but study and barely get by. Some people do nothing but study and score near the top of their class. Some people study moderately. Some people hardly seem to study - and still either do really badly or really well. Then there's everybody in the middle. Some people abandon their hobbies, some don't. Some people drink alcohol and attend parties to relieve stress. Some don't. Some people study in groups. Some don't.
Frankly, there's no way to know what sort of niche you're going to fit into until you finish your first quarter/term. By then, you might have things figured out.
Rather than read about what medical school might be like, I would suggest living in the present and enjoying life as it exists right now because most everything changes come August (mostly for the better, but somewhat for the worse).

To the OP and other's interested in finding a book on how to prep for med school:

Personally, I wouldn't bother. Like an above poster commented...your best source is probably this site. In addition, there really is no way to prepare in the sense that everyone's experience is unique. Some people do nothing but study and barely get by. Some people do nothing but study and score near the top of their class. Some people study moderately. Some people hardly seem to study - and still either do really badly or really well. Then there's everybody in the middle. Some people abandon their hobbies, some don't. Some people drink alcohol and attend parties to relieve stress. Some don't. Some people study in groups. Some don't.
Frankly, there's no way to know what sort of niche you're going to fit into until you finish your first quarter/term. By then, you might have things figured out.
Rather than read about what medical school might be like, I would suggest living in the present and enjoying life as it exists right now because most everything changes come August (mostly for the better, but somewhat for the worse).
I'm not looking so much for a book on what medical school will be like, as for a book that gives suggestions for studying more efficiently. I guess my original post was somewhat unclear. I am living in the present and enjoying life, but if possible I would like to figure out some better ways to learn and study, because I know that I'm not doing it as well as I could/should be.

I just finished reading Iserson's guide to getting a residency. I think it offers valuable advice as how to expend your energy in med school.

Just my $ .02

Can school start already!? I'm ready to go.

Just my thoughts... ^.^

<3

Yeah I was just joking actually. I guess my humor didn't come across that well. :rolleyes:

I'm not looking so much for a book on what medical school will be like, as for a book that gives suggestions for studying more efficiently. I guess my original post was somewhat unclear. I am living in the present and enjoying life, but if possible I would like to figure out some better ways to learn and study, because I know that I'm not doing it as well as I could/should be.

You won't know until you start studying. Most everybody starts studying the same way: one their own, going through the material word by word. In a fairly short time, you'll learn what best works for you. Whether you need study buddies, how many times you'll need to go through the notes, etc. etc. I used to go through the notes quickly and many many times. Some of my classmates would go through the material slowly and maybe only once or twice. See the pattern? Again, you'll have it all figured out after the first term is over - if not sooner.

Members don't see this ad :)
You won't know until you start studying. Most everybody starts studying the same way: one their own, going through the material word by word. In a fairly short time, you'll learn what best works for you. Whether you need study buddies, how many times you'll need to go through the notes, etc. etc. I used to go through the notes quickly and many many times. Some of my classmates would go through the material slowly and maybe only once or twice. See the pattern? Again, you'll have it all figured out after the first term is over - if not sooner.
Yeah, I'm sure you're right. I guess I'm just worried that I'll feel so overwhelmed that I'll just do horribly. I'd rather have some options for studying and be able to try different things than to be like "This isn't working and I don't know how else I can study more efficiently." I know that is an unlikely scenario, but what can I say? Worrying is in my genes. :(

Yeah, I'm sure you're right. I guess I'm just worried that I'll feel so overwhelmed that I'll just do horribly. I'd rather have some options for studying and be able to try different things than to be like "This isn't working and I don't know how else I can study more efficiently." I know that is an unlikely scenario, but what can I say? Worrying is in my genes. :(

We must be related! I have the gene for worrying as well! Any relatives Michigan?

I am in Michigan and most of my family is, haha why, is yours here too?

Can school start already!? I'm ready to go.

I was like you last year, too eager and extremely ready to go from the day I got my acceptance. Now that I'm older and wiser, I will tell you the truth: enjoy your freedom! Do fun things... travel, see your friends and family, partake in your hobbies. Don't be in such a rush to start school. As I sit here, memorizing cranial nerves and up to my eyeballs in neuroanatomy and physiology, I wish I had the free time that I did a year ago!

Trust me, it will all come sooner than you think.

I don't think I was the worrier that you seem to be but I certainly understand your feelings. Like I've implied before, there's really no way to know how well you're going to do or what study habits you'll adopt until you actually DO IT! That's why those first few exams are ball-busters. I remember being SO nervous because I wasn't sure if I'd studied the right material, studied an appropriate amount of detail, etc etc.

Try not to worry so much. There have been many that have come before you and have done just fine and there will be many more who came after you and manage to get through. You'll do fine. Feel free to PM me anytime with questions, concerns, or anything you want to bounce off me. FYI - I'm from Michigan too! Small world.

I just finished reading Iserson's guide to getting a residency. I think it offers valuable advice as how to expend your energy in med school.

I second this recommendation. There's comparative data for MD, DO, FMG etc.

I couldn't find the current version on Amazon, but you can buy it from the publisher: http://www.galenpress.com/025.html

Plus the book is bright yellow thus difficult to lose.

I was like you last year, too eager and extremely ready to go from the day I got my acceptance. Now that I'm older and wiser, I will tell you the truth: enjoy your freedom! Do fun things... travel, see your friends and family, partake in your hobbies. Don't be in such a rush to start school. As I sit here, memorizing cranial nerves and up to my eyeballs in neuroanatomy and physiology, I wish I had the free time that I did a year ago!

Trust me, it will all come sooner than you think.

man, i still wish i was you :D. sadly i a) have no money to travel and b) have to work fulltime to live is this expensive a** city at a job that has become increasingly boring and intellectually vapid. i can't wait to be up to my ears in neuroanatomy and physiology! haha...plus, i'm also older and feel i have enjoyed my "free time" enough. let's get on with the show people! ;)

...at a job that has become increasingly boring and intellectually vapid. i can't wait to be up to my ears in neuroanatomy and physiology! haha...plus, i'm also older and feel i have enjoyed my "free time" enough. let's get on with the show people! ;)

I can definitely identify! :thumbup: