Suspended from ivy league school for 2.5 years due to alcohol. comeback story chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
One of them

Members don't see this ad.

OP if u went to Cornell (C?), you pretty much went to a lowly state school, hate to break it to you :/

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 15 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Doesn’t make me “special” but the above statement that hundreds of other applicants ha e the same stats is inaccurate
Doesn't matter if you're only competing against one other 3.9+/520+ applicant at every school. You're not going to get selected when you are arrogant/entitled enough to think you somehow deserve IIs despite displaying zero remorse for being arrested for a DUI and subsequently being suspended for 2.5 years from your undergrad.

Get this in your head: The fact you treat a DUI as simply an inconvenience in your journey to being a doctor is proof enough on its own you're not ready. You might as well request AMCAS to send your primary on red printer paper to every school.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 7 users
Imma leave this thread now on one last note. Sunflower man look at what this **** has done to you. Made you miss a semester, DUI, suspended 2.5 yrs etc. Med school doesnt matter dude your life does. Straighten out and things will fall into place. Slow time down enjoy the moment and dont worry about the future. Focus on you not on your career and dont let a career define you. Clearly a smart kid, just not in all the right areas so take the time to learn those elements the same way you wanted to do well on the MCAT.

/imbesout

Reactions: 9 users
So every school has hundreds of people with 3.9+ 520+. It is my understanding that only like 450 get above a 520
After a certain point it doesn't matter, the aamc only publishes data looking at gpa and mcat score and the associated acceptance rates up to 3.79 and greater than 517 for a reason.

Reactions: 2 users
True but some schools like WUSTL and Chicago favor abnormally high scores
And the vast majority of the people that get in there don't have a dui and weren't told to leave school for 2.5 years.

Reactions: 5 users
Bro what are you gaining from this thread? Everyone's ragging on you, please just go for a walk or go play with your dog or something :(

I'm sorry this happened to you, I really am, but no one on SDN is gunna fix these problems.

Reactions: 3 users
True but some schools like WUSTL and Chicago favor abnormally high scores

Just my two cents regarding the importance of high-high MCATs, I am not sure if 520 counts as "abnormally high" at some of those places with medians batting at 521...522... and even there they have their pick of high scorers (without recent red flags). Of course 520 is a great score, but it won't carry your application through. It's a great score, I just wouldn't bank on it being a lifesaver in all circumstances, especially at the tip-top.

Reactions: 1 users
Bro what are you gaining from this thread? Everyone's ragging on you, please just go for a walk or go play with your dog or something :(

I'm sorry this happened to you, I really am, but no one on SDN is gunna fix these problems.
You make me proud that we went to the same state school.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 5 users
Ya a 520 isn’t high but I didn’t take genetics or cell yet so I was going to study hard for those and aim for 523. My bb was lowish

Ya a 520 isn’t high but I didn’t take genetics or cell yet so I was going to study hard for those and aim for 523
Maybe before you start worrying about whether a 520 is high or no (spoiler: it is), please focus on getting yourself sorted out. There's a reason why your school put you on probation for 2.5 years. Use that time for introspection and sobriety. Good luck to you.

Reactions: 4 users
OP has received very helpful advice, and I wish him/her the best on their journey from here on out. I think this thread has run its course, however, and any more advice would just be reiterating what has already been said.

Thanks,

Dd3.

• Love
Reactions: 10 users
Status
Not open for further replies.