SVI getting more competitive?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Alternate1994

Reaction score
So we MS4s just had a meeting with our aPD where she spoke a lot about the SVI. Her presentation for us hinges on that this year the SVI was used much more substantially in years passed and she suggested a much more rigorous preparation for it.

Among the things she noted were that our program and many others are using the SVI scores to screen applicants along with STEP 1. She also said that they watched every SVI before sending an interview offer, had all the interviewers watch the SVI before interviewing a candidate, and had the SVI played on the big screen for every candidate at the rank list meeting to better facilitiate ranking. Finally, she said it’s very common for applicants to not get ranked poorly due to “low quality lighting and acoustics”

She convinced the medschool to shell out $$$ to buy every student 4 hours of 1-1 practice with a credentialed HR professional, and got us all access to an 8 hour online review module (both mandatory completion for if we want our SLOE released). Finally, she strongly encouraged the students to rent out the schools film studio for an hour for the test, which costs ~$500.

All this seems crazy to me as everything I’ve heard on here is completely contrary to what she was saying.

Does anyone have any idea if some or all of this is appropriate advice?

Members don't see this ad.

So we MS4s just had a meeting with our aPD where she spoke a lot about the SVI. Her presentation for us hinges on that this year the SVI was used much more substantially in years passed and she suggested a much more rigorous preparation for it.

Among the things she noted were that our program and many others are using the SVI scores to screen applicants along with STEP 1. She also said that they watched every SVI before sending an interview offer, had all the interviewers watch the SVI before interviewing a candidate, and had the SVI played on the big screen for every candidate at the rank list meeting to better facilitiate ranking. Finally, she said it’s very common for applicants to not get ranked poorly due to “low quality lighting and acoustics”

She convinced the medschool to shell out $$$ to buy every student 4 hours of 1-1 practice with a credentialed HR professional, and got us all access to an 8 hour online review module (both mandatory completion for if we want our SLOE released). Finally, she strongly encouraged the students to rent out the schools film studio for an hour for the test, which costs ~$500.

All this seems crazy to me as everything I’ve heard on here is completely contrary to what she was saying.

This is so stupid

Reactions: 5 users

Sounds like a lovely place to spend 3 years.

Members don't see this ad :)

I would not rank your program.

For what it’s worth, I’ve have never heard anyone even mention it since it was implemented.

But who knows, maybe we’re the odd ones.

All I can say is wow and I hope this isn’t true bc I barely have enough money to afford away rotations

Don’t rank that program. That person is giving absolutely ridiculous advice. The SVI is worthless and in no way correlated to how our final rank list shaped up. One of our applicants with a great SVI score did not even get ranked. And some with poor or mediocre SVI scores were some of the highest rated applicants. Most programs don’t put a big emphasis on that stupid thing.

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.....

Yeah no.

God almighty is that all overkill. Just because one program decided to go off the deep end and thinks this score is the key to identifying good candidates and everyone should spend $500 to prepare doesn't mean every program thinks this. It's one programs opinion. Until there is PD survey data showing this is widely utilized to select candidates, I'd take their advice for what it's worth, an n=1 opinion.

Here's another n=1 opinion from another APD. I don't care about the SVI score. I watch one answer on most candidates I'm selecting to interview, just to make sure they can form a coherent sentence and pass the "this appears to be a normal person" test. We don't otherwise factor the SVI into our decision to interview or how to rank candidates at all.

Reactions: 4 users
If you spend even one cent preparing for this thing, you're an absolute fool. I spent 5 minutes preparing mine doing the two practice questions beforehand just to see how it worked and did the real deal. I even had someone walk in on mine during a question and I still got 1 point above average.

Out of 15 interviews, anything about an SVI was not even mentioned once.

Reactions: 1 users
Another n=1 from a resident

I don't look at the SVI at all when interviewing applicants. I think it's silly and it was first implemented when I was applying. I remember all the talks that this could get out of hand and end up costing medical students more money (on top of the $$$ we accumulate from loans) for something useless. I don't think anyone from my program looks at the SVI.

SLOES, board scores, and the "can I see myself working with this person at 3am and not want to run away" test = that's the important stuff.

Reactions: 1 users