• Pharmacy Job Market Webinar - Starting at 8 PM

Are you considering applying to pharmacy school but are concerned about job prospects when you graduate? Hear from three PharmDs about their experiences and options outside of retail pharmacy!

bikeit7

10+ Year Member
Aug 3, 2006
Desert
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Looking for info on the externship program, specifically, day to day stuff (i.e. freetime? work weekends? learning environment? schedule? attendings?etc)

Any personal expierences/2nd/3rd/4th/etc hand info appreciated.

jad

10+ Year Member
May 13, 2004
manhattan
Status (Visible)
The swedish externship can be very intense. They send you this packet in the mail that is very intimidating but do not let the paperwork fool you. This program is one of the best in the country and the externship is top notch. The case load will depend on what month you have. The weather is best in the summer months so most people do not choose to have surgery. Some days are slow, with one or no surgeries but the residents always have topics for you to read about and discuss so you are always learning.

The housing is about 150 a month which can't be beat although it takes some getting used to. Living in the hospital is kind of strange but the plethora of scrubs down the hall and housekeeping services are a benefit. There is a laundromat a 10 minute walk up the hill and the bus stop is on the corner. I got a monthly bus pas and went all over the city every weekend that I was free. The city has many great attractions.

There are three jobs assigned to the extern, cast cart, pre -op h & P, and post op note-gloves-local-white board, along with scrubbing in.
There is a great variety of cases at the program with focus on lapidus procedures and ankle. Know your ankle classifications and procedures.
They scope with the best of them so know arthroscopic anatomy as well. They will ask you questions. You have to do a PPT presentation and a case study with literature review. They have a small but well stocked library.

Everyones experience is different. I had great residents to work with and on some of the down time I went to a couple of the attendings private offices which was a great learning opportunity.
-J
Good luck have fun and be prepared.

bikeit7

10+ Year Member
Aug 3, 2006
Desert
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Thanks for the good info. I'm really looking forward to this one.

I guess I'm really fishing for the answer to one question. Do I get weekends off? or do I at least get some free time to see the area, stay in shape, etc? I'm all for giving 110%, however, I'm also an advocate of having a life on the side.

You are correct in describing the packet as intimidating. It appears that it is a 6am-10pm job everyday (plus 24 hour call). Can anyone confirm or deny this?

thanks

About the Ads

jad

10+ Year Member
May 13, 2004
manhattan
Status (Visible)
if you promise not to tell them i told you.....................
yes you get weekends off, technically you are on call 24 hours, you get a beeper, they wont call you unless it is an interesting case.

some days are long days others your done at 4 or 5 depends on the case load and amount of inpatient rounding. AMs are early if you have a lot of inpatients but there are two other externs with you so you can split up the work, but be sure to get the work done before! the scheduled time to meet with your residents
good luck:D

Dr. Foot

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 16, 2005
Status (Visible)
Hello everyone!!!
I was just wondering if you can post more info on how to apply for this externship ???
thx

krabmas

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 15, 2004
California
Status (Visible)
  1. Fellow [Any Field]
Hello everyone!!!
I was just wondering if you can post more info on how to apply for this externship ???
thx

you apply the same as any other. look on the AACPM website for the address and send in the general application w/ any extra info that is specified.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.