Switch after pgy-1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cucumbers

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm in a difficult situation and would appreciate any advice-- Intern in an EM program, but would like to switch into a different program in another city. Is it too late to apply via ERAS? Can I even apply again to the same specialty if I matched once already? How receptive are PD's to cold-calls or emails inquiring about vacancies? Thanks so much...

Members don't see this ad.

Asking how receptive are PD's to cold calls is like asking if a random Joe on the street prefers direct marketing via mail or telephone. Seriously, everyone has their preferences.

As far as ERAS, programs have different application dates. You should check the NRMP website for details.

It is likely too late to scrounge up the necessary letters of recommendation, MSPE, transcripts, etc. You're probably better off applying next year or finishing your current residency and then applying.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm also an EM PGY1 interested in switching to another EM program. From what I understand, you don't go through ERAS another time. But I could be wrong and would appreciate clarification from someone who knows for sure.

SAEM has a "residency vacancy service" where programs list unexpected openings.
http://www.saem.org/saemdnn/Home/Co...esidencyVacancyService/tabid/152/Default.aspx

Right now there are 2 PGY3 openings- Albert Einstein in PA and UC San Diego. It looks like Albert Einstein requires an ERAS-like application- or maybe they're just saying that they'll accept one of your LOR from ERAS rather than requiring LOR from your current program.

I don't see any PGY2 spots on the SAEM website.

I saw a website called residentswap.org but you have to pay $70 to join.

Cucumbers, did you figure out how to go about switching residencies? Does anyone know how to make it happen?

No I haven't figured anything out yet-- where are you located? PM me, we'll talk.