Switch CP-only to AP/CP, or flexibility of AP/CP curric

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

howareyou

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, so here's my story:
My hubby is a PGY2 IM resident who's getting swamped with work 24/7. I take care of our 6 m/o kid. I am planning to go for a Path slot in the upcoming or next Match (ideally, AP/CP), but would really be more happy if I could start with 1-2 years of CP and then rotate into AP, instead of AP first and CP later, which for some reason seems to be the standard curriculum everywhere. The relatively benign CP schedule (I think) would give me more time for the little one, while I could fully immerse myself in AP when my man is done with his residency. I hope this makes sense.
The questions is, are programs actually flexible enough with their curriculum to have some residents do CP first? I guess they wouldn't be superthrilled to hear about an applicant having a kid and whatnot, so what's the best way to approach this?
Alternatively, I thought of going for a CP-only spot and then try to arrange a switch into AP/CP at the end of PGY-2. Is that doable?

Members don't see this ad.

Ok, so here's my story:
My hubby is a PGY2 IM resident who's getting swamped with work 24/7. I take care of our 6 m/o kid. I am planning to go for a Path slot in the upcoming or next Match (ideally, AP/CP), but would really be more happy if I could start with 1-2 years of CP and then rotate into AP, instead of AP first and CP later, which for some reason seems to be the standard curriculum everywhere. The relatively benign CP schedule (I think) would give me more time for the little one, while I could fully immerse myself in AP when my man is done with his residency. I hope this makes sense.
The questions is, are programs actually flexible enough with their curriculum to have some residents do CP first? I guess they wouldn't be superthrilled to hear about an applicant having a kid and whatnot, so what's the best way to approach this?
Alternatively, I thought of going for a CP-only spot and then try to arrange a switch into AP/CP at the end of PGY-2. Is that doable?

Yes, I think what you are proposing IS doable, depending on the programs, of course. It really just depends where you are and where your husband works. I don't think you'll get away with this at an integrated-type program, but if you go to one that is separate you can persuade them to let you do the CP up-front. it is a small risk to them that you will drop the AP and screw them, but they will at least have time to prepare. What you cannot do is start AP/CP that starts AP first and then drop AP. Programs may crucify you. You can also do CP-only and then add the AP- I don't think you'll get much resistance with this.

I think it's feasible too, however I would suggest being up front with it. If they suddenly find out one of their incoming residents who they expected to shoulder a lot of the AP load now wants to not do any AP, they might get a little irritated. But if they can plan for it, I think it would be fine. You would just have to assure them you aren't going to bail.

CP only is less feasible for someone who doesn't want to do research as their primary career focus.

That all being said, once you are "part" of the program, they try to accomodate you if it means doing a CP-only year or whatever. Bear in mind though if you do a CP only year that means more AP down the road, and assuming that both of your schedules are going to improve is a big assumption.

Members don't see this ad :)
I graduated from my AP/CP residency last year. I am also the mother of three small children under age 5, twins and a singleton. Your experience will naturally depend on the place where you train, but I can relate my experience for what it's worth.

That said, my residency experience was great, even though I did AP up front just like everyone else. Actually, the autopsy rotation and the Cytology rotation on the AP side had very nice (~8-4:30) hours. Surg Path is the toughest rotation on the AP side, obviously. The SP hours at my program were 12 hour days at the very worst. Not terribly heinous, relative to other medical specialties, and it's not forever.

Blood bank call was horrendous, and heme path was hardcore where I trained (almost 12 hour days, routinely). The CP side is not entirely cushy, and the associated pain may vary.

I guess what I am trying to say is that doing AP up front may not be as bad a you think, and that CP generally has a reputation for better hours that may not reflect what actually happens at the program you may end up at. Programs deal with people making changes all the time, but better to be "up front" if you want to do more CP than AP in your first year.

Last edited: