Switch from pre-optometry to pre-podiatry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1072210

I am thinking about podiatry as a career. It is something that I have been considering for about a year, but I was afraid I would not get in. I am in a SPM, and that has helped my science GPA go up to a 3.4. I don’t have a lot of information about admissions material. I know you take to the MCAT and shadow, but what are some other things that can better my application?

Members don't see this ad.

I am thinking about podiatry as a career. It is something that I have been considering for about a year, but I was afraid I would not get in. I am in a SPM, and that has helped my science GPA go up to a 3.4. I don’t have a lot of information about admissions material. I know you take to the MCAT and shadow, but what are some other things that can better my application?

GPA and MCAT as high as you can.
Your GPA is fine.
Just get MCAT + LOR our of the way and apply.

If you already have research on your CV its a plus. Quality over quantity. Some ECs that you're passionate about.

Not much to it. Considered between the two like you did 4 years ago. Havn't looked back.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

Hi! A GPA of 3.4 should have pretty good chances of getting into a podiatric medical program! Definitely take the MCAT and shadow. You will need a letter of recommendation from whomever you shadow too. In terms of some other things that can better your application, I would say do anything that you're passionate about and be able to talk about it. Research and extracurricular activities are important, but I would say that it's also important to be able to write (in a personal statement, for example) about what led you to deciding on podiatry as a career. Talk about your journey and how what you've done in the past can relate to you wanting to pursue the field of podiatric medicine.