Seeking Guidance as a New Pre-Med Interested in Podiatry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FootHealthFocus

Reaction score
Hello SDN community,

I recently changed from a business major to biology with the goal of applying to Temple Podiatry School. However, I find myself in need of guidance and opportunities for volunteering and shadowing in the field of podiatry. I have already reached out via email but have not received any responses yet.

If anyone has information regarding volunteering, shadowing, internship opportunities I should be in lookout for, please let me know. I would greatly appreciate your advice and recommendations. Additionally, any insights into the application process for Temple Podiatry School would be invaluable. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I think you should read the Resident/physician forum to get a better glimpse of the profession
Thank you. I am looking for ways to get active. I haven't done anything all summer and there's no responses from the emails either. I don't know what to do.

Hello SDN community,

I recently changed from a business major to biology with the goal of applying to Temple Podiatry School. However, I find myself in need of guidance and opportunities for volunteering and shadowing in the field of podiatry. I have already reached out via email but have not received any responses yet.

If anyone has information regarding volunteering, shadowing, internship opportunities I should be in lookout for, please let me know. I would greatly appreciate your advice and recommendations. Additionally, any insights into the application process for Temple Podiatry School would be invaluable. Thanks
Who have you reached out to ie. local podiatrists, local hospitals, Temple podiatry school itself etc?

My opinion, when attempting to arrange shadowing - you have to call or ask in person.

"Hi, I'm sorry to trouble you, I'm X - a student interested in podiatry. I wondered if Dr. Y allows students to shadow him to learn about podiatry."

"We're sorry - Dr. Y doesn't currently allow students to shadow"

OR

"Dr. Y does allow students to shadow. Let me get you the office manager's email address or have you come by to talk to her to arrange the shadowing etc etc"

Right now - you are sitting there waiting for a response to an email when you would already have had a response over the phone from the receptionist. My suspicion is your bet best is private practice podiatrists because they are in control of their own office and policies and what they want to do. Hospitals potentially have more rules although - who can say. You could also consider contacting Temple and asking if they can provide you a recommendation.

I'm years out from shadowing, but emailing people through their websites got me nowhere and I half suspect those website links went to dead mailboxes and what not. Remember - the worst thing a receptionist can say to you is no. Someone once told me "Dr. X only allows people who are already podiatry students to shadow". Looking back, almost certainly a lie.

Some people are probably going to say no to you. I used the APMA website to find a podiatrist. His resident introduced me to another podiatrist while I was shadowing who told me not to go into podiatry school. The attending forum can give you a taste of why some people are disenamored. Be proactive. Good luck.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello SDN community,

Find local pods within your area and shadow a bunch before submitting an app. Read what is presented here on SDN but don't decide solely based on it. Your decision should come from your own real-life experiences when shadowing. Good luck!

Also try: Find a Mentor

Reactions: 3 users
Calling podiatrists in my area after Googling is what I did. It’s more direct and time efficient than emailing. Do not just shadow one doctor, shadow at least three for at least a week each. Ask them the hard questions such as “Do you feel fairly compensated?”, “Would you do podiatry again?”, “What are things that you dislike about this field?”, etc. If you can shadow them from different practice models, like PP, MSG, or hospital, even better. In the end, you are responsible in forming your own opinions and actions career wise. I hope this helps, and good luck!

Calling podiatrists in my area after Googling is what I did. It’s more direct and time efficient than emailing. Do not just shadow one doctor, shadow at least three for at least a week each. Ask them the hard questions such as “Do you feel fairly compensated?”, “Would you do podiatry again?”, “What are things that you dislike about this field?”, etc. If you can shadow them from different practice models, like PP, MSG, or hospital, even better. In the end, you are responsible in forming your own opinions and actions career wise. I hope this helps, and good luck!
Good advice but the OP can't get one podiatrist let alone 3 :)

Who have you reached out to ie. local podiatrists, local hospitals, Temple podiatry school itself etc?

My opinion, when attempting to arrange shadowing - you have to call or ask in person.

"Hi, I'm sorry to trouble you, I'm X - a student interested in podiatry. I wondered if Dr. Y allows students to shadow him to learn about podiatry."

"We're sorry - Dr. Y doesn't currently allow students to shadow"

OR

"Dr. Y does allow students to shadow. Let me get you the office manager's email address or have you come by to talk to her to arrange the shadowing etc etc"

Right now - you are sitting there waiting for a response to an email when you would already have had a response over the phone from the receptionist. My suspicion is your bet best is private practice podiatrists because they are in control of their own office and policies and what they want to do. Hospitals potentially have more rules although - who can say. You could also consider contacting Temple and asking if they can provide you a recommendation.

I'm years out from shadowing, but emailing people through their websites got me nowhere and I half suspect those website links went to dead mailboxes and what not. Remember - the worst thing a receptionist can say to you is no. Someone once told me "Dr. X only allows people who are already podiatry students to shadow". Looking back, almost certainly a lie.

Some people are probably going to say no to you. I used the APMA website to find a podiatrist. His resident introduced me to another podiatrist while I was shadowing who told me not to go into podiatry school. The attending forum can give you a taste of why some people are disenamored. Be proactive. Good luck.
Omg thank you! I swear I needed this. I have been asking my advisor and others but no one gave me a clear cut way of doing it. I appreciate it.

Reactions: 1 user
I am a bit nervous because I am confused as to how the process goes. Do I walk around or follow the doc and am I allowed to take notes?

I am a bit nervous because I am confused as to how the process goes. Do I walk around or follow the doc and am I allowed to take notes?
You're there to shadow, which means you follow the doctor around and observe what he/she does. Taking notes should be allowed but for the most part you can gather information by just observing and taking everything in. Ask questions about the field that you may have. Anything related to the field. Private practice, scope of practice, daily work, how they feel about the work, etc. Just don't be annoying to them because, maybe, some day they might be the one to write you a recommendation letter for podiatry school application. Really do your research before deciding this is what you want to do. Once you know the ins and outs of podiatry it may or may not be the field for you. Good luck.

Reactions: 2 users
You're there to shadow, which means you follow the doctor around and observe what he/she does. Taking notes should be allowed but for the most part you can gather information by just observing and taking everything in. Ask questions about the field that you may have. Anything related to the field. Private practice, scope of practice, daily work, how they feel about the work, etc. Just don't be annoying to them because, maybe, some day they might be the one to write you a recommendation letter for podiatry school application. Really do your research before deciding this is what you want to do. Once you know the ins and outs of podiatry it may or may not be the field for you. Good luck.
Thanks, I'm afraid of being annoying unintentionally, lol.

Don't worry about it. Everyone went through the same process, and if anything, people would be glad to see themselves in your shoes from years ago. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
No doubt about it - shadowing can be awkward.

There's a question about space, positioning, what you can see etc. The doctor may or may not interact or point things out to you. The patient often wants to interact with you, which is fine, but the doctor-patient encounter has to happen eventually and you are getting to experience something that is usually private. Podiatry encounters can be all smiles and laughs - if I sense a bit of humor in people we try to turn "unpleasant" events like nail surgery into something more amusing. If people are smiling and laughing - you can to. For awkward encounters, things going the wrong way, things that are failing, people who are having negative events - put a concerned face on and don't talk. In most circumstances you can thank the patient before you leave the room.

There's usually some introductory small talk - hi, oh you want to study feet etc. After that - the big thing is you really aren't meant to be apart of any further discussion. So don't start asking the patient questions about the feet or wound or anything like that. The doctor might after leaving the room tell you what they think was going on or have more to say or they might not. I try to tell students what I'm thinking, but sometimes I have to go room to room and keep moving. Other people are probably better than me about not falling behind, but the simple truth is that when I have a shadowing student or a resident in my clinic - I'm going to be working on notes into the evening. Just the way of it. Anyone with me will slow me down.

I've had a few students ask me if they can shadow me for "weeks" - like they wanted to come out and spend 8 hours a day with me for 2-3 weeks. I suppose that's how you hit 50+ hours or whatever. I personally can't do that. I want to show you some stuff. I'm more than happy to write a letter because I recognize that you have to have it and that its really a formality. But I'm only down for a few mornings or afternoons and ideally not back to back.

Last thing - I always make students watch nail and callus cutting with me. Not sure if other people are trying to hide or obscure this aspect of the practice, but unfortunately you need to see that a substantial portion of many podiatrists practices is performing this service. There are plenty of doctors who think this is all we can do and all we should do. Its variably the worst part of the job, its often gross, no one else does it, and the pay is often exceptionally poor for it. If you are watching a podiatrist cut nails and think "I won't do this, I'm going to be an ankle surgeon". Guess again. The podiatrist who doesn't bust nails is a rare breed. My dad (who apparently has a high opinion of me) awhile back tried to say to me "Yeah, but you won't cut nails". Sorry dad. Wrong!

No doubt about it - shadowing can be awkward.

There's a question about space, positioning, what you can see etc. The doctor may or may not interact or point things out to you. The patient often wants to interact with you, which is fine, but the doctor-patient encounter has to happen eventually and you are getting to experience something that is usually private. Podiatry encounters can be all smiles and laughs - if I sense a bit of humor in people we try to turn "unpleasant" events like nail surgery into something more amusing. If people are smiling and laughing - you can to. For awkward encounters, things going the wrong way, things that are failing, people who are having negative events - put a concerned face on and don't talk. In most circumstances you can thank the patient before you leave the room.

There's usually some introductory small talk - hi, oh you want to study feet etc. After that - the big thing is you really aren't meant to be apart of any further discussion. So don't start asking the patient questions about the feet or wound or anything like that. The doctor might after leaving the room tell you what they think was going on or have more to say or they might not. I try to tell students what I'm thinking, but sometimes I have to go room to room and keep moving. Other people are probably better than me about not falling behind, but the simple truth is that when I have a shadowing student or a resident in my clinic - I'm going to be working on notes into the evening. Just the way of it. Anyone with me will slow me down.

I've had a few students ask me if they can shadow me for "weeks" - like they wanted to come out and spend 8 hours a day with me for 2-3 weeks. I suppose that's how you hit 50+ hours or whatever. I personally can't do that. I want to show you some stuff. I'm more than happy to write a letter because I recognize that you have to have it and that its really a formality. But I'm only down for a few mornings or afternoons and ideally not back to back.

Last thing - I always make students watch nail and callus cutting with me. Not sure if other people are trying to hide or obscure this aspect of the practice, but unfortunately you need to see that a substantial portion of many podiatrists practices is performing this service. There are plenty of doctors who think this is all we can do and all we should do. Its variably the worst part of the job, its often gross, no one else does it, and the pay is often exceptionally poor for it. If you are watching a podiatrist cut nails and think "I won't do this, I'm going to be an ankle surgeon". Guess again. The podiatrist who doesn't bust nails is a rare breed. My dad (who apparently has a high opinion of me) awhile back tried to say to me "Yeah, but you won't cut nails". Sorry dad. Wrong!
Thank you so much for taking the time to provide such a detailed and honest explanation. I truly appreciate your willingness to share your experiences and insights with me. As a pre-med student, I've been seeking guidance from various sources, but I haven't received the kind of help and clarity you've given me. I feel less ignorant on shadowing now lol

Reactions: 1 user