Switch from retail/ambulatory to Hospital or vice versa

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

novapharm

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I currently work in ambulatory care as a staff pharmacist and am considering a change to a hospital setting. I'm very aprrehensive since I will be losing a good schedule, work location, and lots of vacation time! However, I am not satisfied nor challenged with my job.

Has anyone made the switch from Ambulatory/retail to Hospital or vice versa? Which setting do you prefer?

Thank you so much for your help.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,

I currently work in ambulatory care as a staff pharmacist and am considering a change to a hospital setting. I'm very aprrehensive since I will be losing a good schedule, work location, and lots of vacation time! However, I am not satisfied nor challenged with my job.

Has anyone made the switch from Ambulatory/retail to Hospital or vice versa? Which setting do you prefer?

Thank you so much for your help.

I made the switch from retail to hospital recently. I took a pay cut to do it, but the quality of life change was worth it. What type of ambulatory care do you do? I worked retail for a chain pharmacy so it pretty much sucked the life out of me. It depends on what you like about your clinic. If you like interacting with patients on a consistent basis, then amb care is better for you. As a hospital staff pharmacist, there isn't much patient interaction. I do have a lot of interaction with other health care professionals though.

I made the switch from retail to hospital recently. I took a pay cut to do it, but the quality of life change was worth it. What type of ambulatory care do you do? I worked retail for a chain pharmacy so it pretty much sucked the life out of me. It depends on what you like about your clinic. If you like interacting with patients on a consistent basis, then amb care is better for you. As a hospital staff pharmacist, there isn't much patient interaction. I do have a lot of interaction with other health care professionals though.

I'm glad to know that! I'm willing to take a pay cut for the quality of life change.
I work in Managed care at Kaiser Permanente and have lots of patient interaction as well as with the outpatient clinic staff in the building. Honestly I'm ready to move away from patient contact and see what it's like to work w/o the pressure and complaints while I try to check a prescription correctly!
Thanks for your input.