SWITCH TO MED SCHOOL HELP!!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ariredso823

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I landed up going to dental school because I felt like I had pressure from my parents to go to med school, however I did not want to feel pressured. I am in dental school now in my first year and I am doing very well in science courses but I realized I hate the hands on dental stuff. I love Anatomy, histology and neuroscience and the medical sciences.
My point being is there a way to switch to medical school from dental school. My University even has a Med SchooL!

ANYONE know of a way to do this/ someone who did!

Please help

thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Only time I've heard of it happening is when an individual was injured during dental school to the point that practicing dentistry would not have been viable.

Very rare to have dental school to medical school transfer. There are some programs like Columbia that have the same curriculum for both medical and dental students the first 2 years, and you can request for transfer after 2nd year.
Your most likely road would be to drop out of dental school and then applying for medical school. I would suggest finishing D1 year with a great GPA, drop out, take the MCAT and apply to medical school.

Members don't see this ad :)
I landed up going to dental school because I felt like I had pressure from my parents to go to med school, however I did not want to feel pressured. I am in dental school now in my first year and I am doing very well in science courses but I realized I hate the hands on dental stuff. I love Anatomy, histology and neuroscience and the medical sciences.
My point being is there a way to switch to medical school from dental school. My University even has a Med SchooL!

Please help

thank you
Are you sure this time?

Reactions: 2 users
Very rare to have dental school to medical school transfer. There are some programs like Columbia that have the same curriculum for both medical and dental students the first 2 years, and you can request for transfer after 2nd year.
Your most likely road would be to drop out of dental school and then applying for medical school. I would suggest finishing D1 year with a great GPA, drop out, take the MCAT and apply to medical school.

99% sure Columbia wouldn't let you transfer - while we technically take the same courses, after the first semester the exams we take are different. In fact, Columbia dental students that enter Columbia's OS program (medical) still have to retake the courses they already took with the med students in the first 1.5 years.

Reactions: 1 user
99% sure Columbia wouldn't let you transfer - while we technically take the same courses, after the first semester the exams we take are different. In fact, Columbia dental students that enter Columbia's OS program (medical) still have to retake the courses they already took with the med students in the first 1.5 years.

My information may be outdated. There was an option for Columbia students to transfer 6 years ago when i applied for dental school, and they even stated it on their webpage. I checked the Columbia dental webpage and couldn't find statement anymore.

You hate the hands-on stuff because you're a brand new first year dental student, and you're probably terrible with your hand skills at this point. You will spend many many hours in the lab practicing operative, wax-ups, etc. You'll get better.
If you find that you still hate it in a few years, try specializing in OMPR. You may enjoy it a lot more.

Apply to medical school. You'll have to start over.
Considering how rare medical school to medical school transfer is, i'm gonna go ahead and assume dental to medicine transfer is impossible.

Please help

thank you

I have heard of people switching from dent to med, and then from med to dent. It happens, but it is rare. If your university has a medical school, maybe it will make things easier but You would still have to drop out of dental school, take the MCAT, apply, and have a gap year waiting to hear back from schools. If this is what you truly want, I would let both admissions team at your school know, and move from there.

But consider the fact that you just started your first year a few months ago. You just started picking up a high speed, waxing..You are bad at it, and it's no fun being bad at things, it can make you depressed and resent your decision....but you will improve and it will become rewarding at some point. I don't think it is a good enough excuse to say you don't like the "hands-on" aspect of dentistry so early in your education. You are just being exposed to the basics for the first time.
Also, if you really like the "science" portion of dentistry, you can always go into research. Dentistry is in need of full time academic DDS or DMDs who can help the field. I go to a big research school, and they often say that the much of the dental research comes from non-DDS or non-DMD people, and dentistry needs more of its own to dedicate their time to science.

take all this into consideration before making a decision.

I also recently began considering the pre-med route. I'm on the way to entering dental school but have not quite started yet. I'm seeing a trend in some dental students that seem to regret their decision to go to dental school. Not just you, OP. People I've talked to as well. I enjoy general dentistry, but ideally would like to be in OMFS for now (things can quickly change in dental school). After shadowing, OMFS just seemed more enjoyable. I wasn't really looking to be a family physician though after my brief medical visits. I find that I can learn a lot from those ahead of me. For those in dental school looking to go into something outside of general dentistry: Is dental school that bad? Do med students have the better professional school experience? Should I take a year or two off to explore med before making my decision?

As long as you can keep your cost of attendance in the ballpark of $300K, it'll be a good time

I did it after 2 years of DS. Message me if you want to chat.

Wow I have a similar inquiry but not to the point of dropping out. I am terrible with my hand skills, as well. I try to practice as much as I can but the didactics are also quite demanding so during exam weeks I end up slacking on the sim lab hours which definitely hurts any progress I make. The most difficult thing for me is to identify weaknesses and find a sure fire way to improve them, it seems like everytime I do something, I just 'wing' it. However, I have a keen interest in pursuing OMFS. While I'm doing really well in my didactics thus far having obtained no less than 100% on all my exams I do find that my grades in sim lacking are lacking. Will that hurt/completely kill my chances of pursuing OMFS or will the didactics somewhat overcome a mediocre sim lab performance?