This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

derka75

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a sophomore student who recently changed majors to exercise science/pre-pt after realizing engineering was not something I was interested in. I originally chose to switch to exercise science because I could still graduate in 4 years and go on to PT school. Now however I am seeing the advantages of possibly majoring in Athletic Training instead. I am really interested in orthopedics and sport rehab and I feel like AT might set me up better for that when I go to PT school. The disadvantage is that it will take me an extra year to finish undergrad if I switch. I'm not sure if that is worth it considering I plan to go to PT school afterward anyways. I am wondering if it is worth it for me to switch or just stick with exercise science?

Members don't see this ad.

Exercise science will do you just fine for PT school. It's what a good chunk of people come in with.

Reactions: 1 users
I am a sophomore student who recently changed majors to exercise science/pre-pt after realizing engineering was not something I was interested in. I originally chose to switch to exercise science because I could still graduate in 4 years and go on to PT school. Now however I am seeing the advantages of possibly majoring in Athletic Training instead. I am really interested in orthopedics and sport rehab and I feel like AT might set me up better for that when I go to PT school. The disadvantage is that it will take me an extra year to finish undergrad if I switch. I'm not sure if that is worth it considering I plan to go to PT school afterward anyways. I am wondering if it is worth it for me to switch or just stick with exercise science?

Pick a major that you will have a higher chance of getting better grades and a higher GPA. Because in order to be competitive applicant they are mainly going to look at your GPA’s, especially if you want to go to the cheaper state schools. Most schools don’t even look at people’s majors now.