Switching from dental to medical school.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

spider1984

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a former dental student who was dismissed due to academics. I was in good academic standing when after my first year which consisted mostly all of the basic science (non-dental) courses (the first year dental curriculum is similar to med school). This semester my grades slipped due to having to deal with my family issues and also a lack of interest in becoming a dentist. I know now that I chose the wrong career path and desire to go into medicine. Does anyone know of anyone in my similar situation and what they did? Is going from dental school to medical school going to be frowned upon by the medical school admissions committee? Any advice is helpful. Thank You.

Members don't see this ad.

if you couldn't hack it in dental school what makes you think an adcom will think you can get through med school? Sounds like you used your "family issues" as a way to get out of something you didn't want to do to begin with. I'd say you might've had a shot had you just quit dental school on your own terms but since you got kicked out I doubt any respectable med school would seriously consider you.

a lack of interest in becoming a dentist.

really?!

I have the most interest in becoming a dentist, and think a lot about that!

but not sure about my ability to switch from "medical" to "dental". The two are great!.. docs and dentists share in good decision makin', wise..

and science is science!

may be b/c we're still studying academic curriculi, we feel like to switch.
I advice you to continue in your dental school, switching will not help alot,

lord bless you, spider.

Members don't see this ad :)
really?!

I have the most interest in becoming a dentist, and think a lot about that!

but not sure about my ability to switch from "medical" to "dental". The two are great!.. docs and dentists share in good decision makin', wise..

and science is science!

may be b/c we're still studying academic curriculi, we feel like to switch.
I advice you to continue in your dental school, switching will not help alot,

lord bless you, spider.

He was dismissed. And to contribute I think it would be a very difficult, uphill battle for you.

The "family issue" I was referring to was having to take care of my sick mother so that my dad could go and look for a much needed job.

This is roughly the equivalent of getting dismissed from flight school and deciding you want to become an astronaut.

Thoroughly consider the fact that medical school itself is already an extremely arduous uphill battle, and ask yourself in you can realistically handle what you're getting into. It can be done, but keep in mind that if you drag your ass for so much as a second, the dean will likely eject you from his university with a trebuchet. I'd suggest seeking other passions, but if you're dead set on med school, jump in and don't stop swimming until you're on the other side.

Consider contacting a few of the med schools which you think you have a realistic shot getting into and get their thoughts on it. Perhaps getting some kind of documentation from the administration at your dental school outlining your situation and how it had nothing to do with your ability might help.

It is going to be tough, but regardless of the outcome you did the right thing by taking care of your family.

Good luck.

This is roughly the equivalent of getting dismissed from flight school and deciding you want to become an astronaut.

Thoroughly consider the fact that medical school itself is already an extremely arduous uphill battle, and ask yourself in you can realistically handle what you're getting into. It can be done, but keep in mind that if you drag your ass for so much as a second, the dean will likely eject you from his university with a trebuchet. I'd suggest seeking other passions, but if you're dead set on med school, jump in and don't stop swimming until you're on the other side.

+1, love the analogy