Switching from Hospitalist to Outpatient PCP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

timtebowner

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I recently decided that I was going to make the jump from hospitalist to outpatient IM and signed a contract to start this summer. I just can't take the stress of being in the hospital anymore. I find it's impossible to do anything with my day when working a 12 hour shift. The consecutive days off are nice, but I'm burned out and tired of missing out on weekends. I decided to take a 4-day a week position working as an outpatient internist.

I was hoping that either those who have made the switch before, or anyone who works as an outpatient PCP could give me some advice. Most of my residency training was done inpatient and I am nervous about making the switch. I'm really hoping that working regular hours 8-5 without the stress of the hospital will make my life easier. Can you impart any wisdom? Anything you wish you would've known ahead of time? Any tips for how to structure my exams, daytime flow, billing, or anything else? I'm joining a well established group with partnership opportunity after 2 years. I'm on call one night a week and one weekend in 7. I would love some advice, thank you all!!

Members don't see this ad.