Switching from pre-PT to pre-med

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pbauer

Reaction score
Hi I am currently in my first year of undergrad. I enrolled at Carroll University in Wisconsin with a direct admit position into the DPT program. At the time I felt very sure of the decision of going the PT route. However I had one of my professors talk to me about looking into switching to a pre-med as he believes that I would excel there. I have had interest in the path in the past, but never thought it was a realistic goal. Now that I have been talking with my professor I've been doing more research, and found much interest in the MD/DO especially with the sports medicine specialty. However it is a very difficult decision to drop my spot in the PT program as that is basically a guarantee where the pre-med route is very risky. This summer I plan on doing shadowing hours with PTs and MD/DOs, and will also be volunteering within a hospital. Currently I am an exercise science major with a biochem minor. Adding the biochem minor meets majority of the requirements of pre-med while also fulfilling my requirements to keep my PT spot. My academic adviser has advised me to make a full commitment to a field by the end of next year. I was looking for any advice and perhaps what current students are enjoying about their field?

Members don't see this ad.

Current GPA?

Members don't see this ad :)
I have an M1 classmate who finished his DPT and then came to medical school. His reasoning is that he wanted a more direct role in his patients’ care. Shadowing the professions like you mentioned, will help you.