Switching into Gen Surg

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoctorDolemite

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everybody... I just started as a PGY-2 in a surgical subspecialty, and I'm seriously considering switching back to Gen Surg. I'm just not enjoying my subspecialty nearly as much as I did as a med student -- yet I had a blast during my surgical internship. In fact, I find myself thinking about internship quite a bit during the day -- and I miss it!

So, here are a few questions. Any and all advice is greatly appeciated!

1. What's the timeframe for the ERAS application? If I want to be seriously considered for this match cycle, when should I aim to get my application in? Yes, I went through his whole process two years ago, but I've forgotten all the important details!

2. Is there any safe way to do this without going through the Match? Where can I search for open PGY-1 & -2 spots?

3. And if anyone has any other pointers, I'm all ears!

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everybody... I just started as a PGY-2 in a surgical subspecialty, and I'm seriously considering switching back to Gen Surg. I'm just not enjoying my subspecialty nearly as much as I did as a med student -- yet I had a blast during my surgical internship. In fact, I find myself thinking about internship quite a bit during the day -- and I miss it!

So, here are a few questions. Any and all advice is greatly appeciated!

1. What's the timeframe for the ERAS application? If I want to be seriously considered for this match cycle, when should I aim to get my application in? Yes, I went through his whole process two years ago, but I've forgotten all the important details!

November 1st is the deadline for MOST surgical programs, but there are a few with a mid-October deadline. Thus, you need to have everything into ERAS by then to be considered. ERAS usually opens in September for you to upload your stuff; your former medical school can serve as Dean's office for you. Go to http://www.nrmp.org and http://www.aamc.org/students/eras/ for further information.

2. Is there any safe way to do this without going through the Match? Where can I search for open PGY-1 & -2 spots?

Safe? Probably not...the best spot for open positions is the Association for Program Directors in Surgery web site: http://www.apds.org The newest listings are at the bottom.

Otherwise, its word of mouth. Your best chance is at your current program...they already know you. The PD of General Surgery should also get fliers for open positions around the country; ask them where they are posted. Let the GS residents know you are interested...they may know of openings from friends at other programs. There are rare listings in the back of the throw-away surgery journals (Gen Surg News) and even JAMA; check there. Contact programs you are interested in and see if they have openings; as an Independent Candidate you are eligible to take a position outside of the match.

best of luck...

May 2007--The Department of Surgery, at SUNY Downstate Medical Center, at Brooklyn has one designated preliminary PGY 1 position available, to be filled immediately. This position commence July 1, 2007. Interested applicant must provide letter of offer for PGY 2 year.

Please forward e-mail or fax the following documents:

USMLE Scores
Curriculum Vitae
ABSITE Scores
Letters of Recommednations (3)
Transcript
Dean;s Letter
Letter of Offer

Please forward all documents via:
Fax : (718) 270-2826
E-mail: [email protected]