switching out of a program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

orthoboyz

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, congratulations to everyone . I matched at a great program. I am unfortunately considering switching to a program in a different city, and was wondering what are your thoughts on switching out of one psychiatry program to another in a different city?

Does this happen? how common is it? how do you go about doing it? is it looked badly upon? how honest can you be with your PD?

are others in this situation? my reason for thinking about leaving is...basically because my significant other cant move to where I matched. we would really like to be together.

do enough people leave psychiatry programs after first year to leave open pgy2 spots? how would i find out what spots and where, have been available in past years?

any ideas at all?
thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, congratulations to everyone . I matched at a great program. I am unfortunately considering switching to a program in a different city, and was wondering what are your thoughts on switching out of one psychiatry program to another in a different city?

Does this happen? how common is it? how do you go about doing it? is it looked badly upon? how honest can you be with your PD?

are others in this situation? my reason for thinking about leaving is...basically because my significant other cant move to where I matched. we would really like to be together.

do enough people leave psychiatry programs after first year to leave open pgy2 spots? how would i find out what spots and where, have been available in past years?

any ideas at all?
thanks

I've definitely heard of people transferring programs. But why would you rank a place if you knew your boy/girlfriend couldn't move there and that was an important factor to you?

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think that you can switch this July. To transfer for July 2008, I would write a brief, to-the-point letter to the training director at local residency programs. I don't think it would help to do this until the summertime, but you might want to go ahead and do it before then. If there is one program that would be obviously preferable, then I would make that clear to the RD. That person may well already have an open PGY 2 spot for 2008 and might feel relieved not to have to go searching. Depending on what the RD does, I would consider asking to meet for a brief interview. It might also pay to demonstrate tactful interest by writing more than once over the next 6 months.

Someone in my program left another program after one year because of her husband's fellowship. She filled a spot left by someone leaving our program for HER husband's fellowship.

It happens all the time. So go for it, and always be completely honest.

Switching programs is not easy to do and usually can only be done when another program has an open spot which is not exactly happening all the time. Plan this carefully.