switching out of anesthesia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gentamicin

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am currently doing a transitional year and this coming July I am supposed to start my PGY 2 anesthesia spot which I matched into last year. However, I have decided that I do not want to do anesthesia anymore and have been offered a position in another specialty at my program where I am doing my internship. I plan on accepting that position. However, what are the consequences of breaking my match with the anesthesia program? If I let them know now, is it enough time for them to find someone else? When is the latest that I should let them know by? Also, I don't recall getting a contract from the anesthesia program after the match. Am I supposed to be getting one soon? What should I tell the anesthesia program that I matched into? Should I tell them the truth that I have changed my specialty plans? Please advise.

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all,

I am currently doing a transitional year and this coming July I am supposed to start my PGY 2 anesthesia spot which I matched into last year. However, I have decided that I do not want to do anesthesia anymore and have been offered a position in another specialty at my program where I am doing my internship. I plan on accepting that position. However, what are the consequences of breaking my match with the anesthesia program? If I let them know now, is it enough time for them to find someone else? When is the latest that I should let them know by? Also, I don't recall getting a contract from the anesthesia program after the match. Am I supposed to be getting one soon? What should I tell the anesthesia program that I matched into? Should I tell them the truth that I have changed my specialty plans? Please advise.

thanks

Why are you punking out?

let them know immediately. most programs would rather have a resident who really wants to be there, as opposed to someone who's miserable and wishes they were doing something else. tell them tomorrow (monday). they will be able to fill your spot. don't worry. they don't want the hassle of making a stink out of it. they'll almost certainly let you go without a fuss.

Members don't see this ad :)
let the pd knows, and i'll take your spot for you. simple.

Hi all,

thanks

:confused:
I'll be the one to ask... why? What happened, and what are you going into now? Just curious, b/c after rotating through all these med specialties, my decision has been reaffirmed, so I'm curious to hear about people that go the other way.

I would think that if you have a spot secured in a specialty that you now prefer, you would have nothing to lose by informing your anesthesia program now. And, the PD of the anesthesia program has only time to lose by you shuffling your feet.

Although I know that it wasn't the intent of the original post, I hope that you elaborate on the rationale and circumstances behind your switch. I just matched into anesthesia and a TY, but I am having my own second thoughts. I'm not sure if it's just that I am no longer as excited about any field of medicine as I used to be, or if it's that all of the negative discussions on this board are disillusioning me. However, I find myself incapable of really enjoying my match (despite matching into a very desireable program) and wondering if I'm going to be able to sustain a career in anesthesia.

What were your thought processes in switching, and how did you go about doing it? Just wondering if you could elaborate, as several of us are curious.

yeah, i'll take your spot for you! pm me

I would think that if you have a spot secured in a specialty that you now prefer, you would have nothing to lose by informing your anesthesia program now. And, the PD of the anesthesia program has only time to lose by you shuffling your feet.

Although I know that it wasn't the intent of the original post, I hope that you elaborate on the rationale and circumstances behind your switch. I just matched into anesthesia and a TY, but I am having my own second thoughts. I'm not sure if it's just that I am no longer as excited about any field of medicine as I used to be, or if it's that all of the negative discussions on this board are disillusioning me. However, I find myself incapable of really enjoying my match (despite matching into a very desireable program) and wondering if I'm going to be able to sustain a career in anesthesia.

What were your thought processes in switching, and how did you go about doing it? Just wondering if you could elaborate, as several of us are curious.

Anesthesiology is a "first tier" specialty right now. I listed the problems in the specialty because I want it to remain that way. Provided you are willinfg to the fellowship year Anesthesiology will most likely at least remain a "second tier specialty" for the next two decades.

A lot of medical students think ER (Emergency Medicine) is the way to go. Anesthesiology is a much better choice in the long run.

The original poster wanted to do ortho initially and apparently didn't match and got an anesthesia spot. Now he wants back into ortho hence his reason for moving on