Switching Pre-Dent: What are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Biggest issue?

• GPA

Votes: 26 63.4%
  • Switching from MD to DDS

Votes: 10 24.4%
  • Not enough experience

Votes: 5 12.2%
  • Application too late

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Not enough time for DAT prep

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Thanks guys!!
I ended up applying to 18 total but I'm done interviewing cause Maryland was my top choice. ;)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
One thing for sure

Girls in dental schools are far better looking and have better personality than girls in medical schools.

Reactions: 1 users
Seems like you're just choosing dentistry as an easy way out, we have pre-dentals who have applied 4 times because they really want that bad. Retake the mcat and try again.
Regardless of why someone chooses to do something, what gives you the right to tell them what to do? People join this profession strictly for the money and that's fine, but we can't tell them not to do it because of that.

If that's their sole reason, that's pretty pathetic and they would be weak Clinicians due to the lack of care. Sorry but I am actually very passionate about my field and it makes me cringe when people have such motives for entering it. I also made a comment, because clearly they wanted feedback and that was mine.

Lol Jesus Christ, you sound self-righteous.

As far as your assumption, thank God things aren't what they "seem". God bless the pre-dents that have applied once - let alone 4 times - Lord knows its a difficult process, but you're out your God fearing mind if you think I'm retaking the MCAT or going back to medicine. There's a good reason I switched, one that I do not need to justify to you or anybody else whatsoever (but also one I respectfully PM'd to people in this thread who were encouraging and not condescending). The fact I got in should be proof of that. I'm happy with my decision and beyond happy with the result. God bless.

Reactions: 4 users
If that's their sole reason, that's pretty pathetic and they would be weak Clinicians due to the lack of care. Sorry but I am actually very passionate about my field and it makes me cringe when people have such motives for entering it. I also made a comment, because clearly they wanted feedback and that was mine.
You don't sound very passionate. What does intent of getting into dental school have anything to do with how a clinician performs? You say "Due to the lack of care", are you serious? It basically comes down to this. It is a business. We all don't live in your fairytale story of "ideal" dental students. Cringe all you want, it is what it is.

Please try to remain as objective as possible when giving advice to your fellow predents/future colleagues. It isn't anyone's place to judge a persons's motivation or passion or potential clinical skills.

Congrats to the OP and I hope that you find dentistry as wonderful as most of us already have!

Man I wanted to post a similar thread here but everyone was so discouraging to you for no reason so I chickened out. You seem like a cool dude congratulations for getting into dental school.

Man I wanted to post a similar thread here but everyone was so discouraging to you for no reason so I chickened out. You seem like a cool dude congratulations for getting into dental school.

Thanks man! Don't be scared lol. Some people are going to be baselessly discouraging but most give useful, objective advice. You just need to be receptive and sift through to find the information you need. Good luck to you if you applied this year or plan to in the future!

Thanks man! Don't be scared lol. Some people are going to be baselessly discouraging but most give useful, objective advice. You just need to be receptive and sift through to find the information you need. Good luck to you if you applied this year or plan to in the future!

OP, coming off the heels of the MCAT, how was the DAT in comparison? If you don't mind me asking, what did you receive on the MCAT and DAT?

I am in a similar situation as you were. Im thinking about going back to school for dentistry since this whole medical school thing didn't work out. I actually really enjoy dentistry, and could see myself being happy in the field.

OP, coming off the heels of the MCAT, how was the DAT in comparison? If you don't mind me asking, what did you receive on the MCAT and DAT?

I am in a similar situation as you were. Im thinking about going back to school for dentistry since this whole medical school thing didn't work out. I actually really enjoy dentistry, and could see myself being happy in the field.

I'd say the DAT tests your ability to retain the study material while the MCAT tests your ability to incorporate random information along with the study material. The MCAT works intuitively to try and 'trick' you, while the DAT is a bit more straight-forward. Doesn't mean either is 'easier' or 'harder', its just a different route of preparation for both. I sent you a PM to elaborate a bit more.