Switching services...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ydangerzone

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are there any rules for switching services during HPSP? If you're taken on in the Army, can you transfer to the Air Force possibly?

After all, wouldn't everyone work for the Department of Defense anyway???

Members don't see this ad.

Ydangerzone said:

I bet you can. Wait until some of the experienced military docs reply. But definitely don't rely on the above logic. In fact don't rely on logic at all. :D

Ydangerzone said:
Are there any rules for switching services during HPSP? If you're taken on in the Army, can you transfer to the Air Force possibly?
I wouldn't count on it. You can't use the Army as a convenient stepping stone to getting in the Air Force. The Army is trying to fill its own physician vacancies, not doing the legwork so you can just jump ship when the mood suits you. Each of the services has only so many scholarships to offer, and each has a certain amount of money budgeted for the HPSP program. If you think that the Army is going to spend its HPSP money to give the Air Force a physician, then you don't know jack **** about the military.

The Army is trying to sign up physicians to take care of its soldiers, not take care of servicemembers in general. That's why you have to go to branch specific health care recruiters to sign up for the HPSP, instead of just going to some DOD recruiter. Think about it...how many physicians would be in the Army or the Navy if they could easily switch branches to the Air Force?

Members don't see this ad :)
Ydangerzone said:

No rules...switching ain't gonna happen.
Yes, everyone works for the DOD but within the DOD is the DOA, DOAF, & DON.

Switching does happen, but there needs to be a compelling reason. You see folks who get married at USUHS switch services for residency.

Ed

People! Can we possibly seperate USUHS from HPSP?! They are not the same thing and abide by different rules. An HPSP student is not going to change service midstream...please oh please tell me of a compelling reason why they would switch you from one to the other.....

If anyoneh as heard of an HPSP student switching branches in 2nd or 3rd year I'd like to hear about it, also. I have several friends in the AF program considering an attempted switch to the Army, for family reasons.

The most common reason I see is marriage-- I haven't seen it in HPSP, but I have seen it at USUHS. The logic behind the switch would be similar for both-- if you have an interservice marriage you are going to have a hard time coming up with co-location options for residency.

Other than that, you've gotta come up with something good. Some classmates of mine while I was in medical school were denied a switch out of the Navy but they never had more than a snowball's chance to begin with.

--your friendly neighborhood choose your branch wisely caveman

Homunculus said:
The most common reason I see is marriage-- I haven't seen it in HPSP, but I have seen it at USUHS. The logic behind the switch would be similar for both-- if you have an interservice marriage you are going to have a hard time coming up with co-location options for residency.

Other than that, you've gotta come up with something good. Some classmates of mine while I was in medical school were denied a switch out of the Navy but they never had more than a snowball's chance to begin with.

--your friendly neighborhood choose your branch wisely caveman

Even in the same service the military only guarantee's you'll be in the same geographical area not the same duty station. Like I said I know of USUHS students switching but not HPSP. I guess if 2 HPSP's got married and they were in different branches the military would say....TOUGH NUGGIES PAYBACK YOUR TIME THEN SWITCH....

Someone prove me wrong...please. I would like to ask these "switchers" which Senator or Congressman or General is their parent.... :D

Switches in HPSP DO happen :D , albeit rare. This is the process....you need to contact the head of HPSP in the Army and the AF about this, you DO need a decent reason, but does not have to be catastrophic, but the BIG CLINCHER is that it is a "ONE FOR ONE" deal. No service wants to lose docs. If you are Army and want to go AF or vice versa, there eeds to be a HPSP student in the opposite service who wants to "swap" (sometimes the people at the top of this process have one person from one branch, and just need the person fromt he other branch). It is actually a very long process of sending in letters, Med school transcripts and continous contacting both services (you know how hard it is to deal with two branches????, this will probably be you biggest problem along with finding another in another branch who wants to switch). They will review and it does go thru if all parts are in place, but it is rare because most dont try with ALL the necessary steps due to nay sayers preventing them from even begining the proccess. Both services lose nothing by this process and each will write a letter reccommending " We reccommend this interservice transfer oh behalf of each servicemember...blah blah blah" Remember you will be dealing with 2 services, at the top of HPSP transfer process, it takes investigating and a lot of time (6months to 1yr) and need another person in the opposite services desiring to transfer to your service, and it doesnt need to invlove marriage, but that is the best reason. Good luck. :thumbup:

I know this is an old thread, but what about switching because one branch does not offer a specific residency position (not just location) on the 2014 HPERB? From what I gather, if it's not approved on the HPERB, you can't even apply for it. Ultimately, they all sit together on the same (JSGMESB) board anyway... any thoughts?