Switching speciality

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Resident50

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I am in a confused situation. I am a visa requiring IMG and I applied for the 2018 match and kept Peads as my first speciality and IM as second. I received many interviews of pediatrics and few of IM and since I wanted to do peads so I kept Peads programs up on my list and matched in an academically strong pediatric program. Ever since I matched, I have been in two minds regarding pediatrics as I realized that loving children is totally different than treating children and I am not sure if I would be okay with treating children my whole life. Secondly, although compensation has NEVER been a priority for me, but ever since i matched, it has also started lingering in my mind (might be because many people around me matched in IM). My question is that although I want to start my intern year with an open mind and give my best but if I decide during my intern year that I want to switch speciality to IM or radiology, how difficult would it be. What would be an ideal time to switch? Who should I talk to? I would be grateful if someone could help me with the process of switching. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

You'd essentially have to go through the match again for IM, because there is no cross-over. Which will be challenging because you're an intern and can't take a ton of time off for interviews. For radiology, you *might* be able to match or apply to an open R2 spot and have your peds intern year count.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you mvenus929 for your reply. Can you please also give some insight regarding how should one go about switching? Should one directly talk to his program director or should he start the topic with his mentor?

You're not "switching", you're applying to a new specialty.

The problem is that you're going to have to be all in for this. You're going to have to ask your current PD for his/her support. You're going to need all new LORs. Your clinical performance is going to have to be stellar.

None of those things are insurmountable, either individually or in total. But they are certainly potential barriers and definitely present failure risks.

You should start by maybe seeing (starting next week) if Peds really is/n't the specialty for you. And go from there.

Reactions: 1 user