Switching Specialties Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheMedSwitcheroo

Reaction score
I'm interested in switching FM to Psych and would like some advice on the process, especially from people who have switched into psych, but general advice is also greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

1. Any suggests on going through the match vs trying to find open/swap spots outside of the match? How does one find programs outside of the match besides APA Clearinghouse and Residency Swap?

2. Besides letter of support from PD, how does one get other letters particularly from psychiatry given there is no psychiatry during intern year?

3. If I don’t find a place to switch to, am I at risk of losing my current spot anyway? Or is the open spot I would be creating contingent on a successful transfer? I heard that participating in the match again would require rescinding your current spot... anyone have experience with this?

4. Any success/failure stories of switching? Any other advice on the process?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm interested in switching FM to Psych and would like some advice on the process, especially from people who have switched into psych, but general advice is also greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

1. Any suggests on going through the match vs trying to find open/swap spots outside of the match? How does one find programs outside of the match besides APA Clearinghouse and Residency Swap?

2. Besides letter of support from PD, how does one get other letters particularly from psychiatry given there is no psychiatry during intern year?

3. If I don’t find a place to switch to, am I at risk of losing my current spot anyway? Or is the open spot I would be creating contingent on a successful transfer? I heard that participating in the match again would require rescinding your current spot... anyone have experience with this?

4. Any success/failure stories of switching? Any other advice on the process?

You would likely have to go through the match since you're trying to enter a completely different specialty.

Where in your training are you now, you're a PGY1? or 2? FM is pretty short and would keep a lot of doors open for you. I've seen people do both (FM and Psych).

You would likely have to go through the match since you're trying to enter a completely different specialty.

Where in your training are you now, you're a PGY1? or 2? FM is pretty short and would keep a lot of doors open for you. I've seen people do both (FM and Psych).

PGY1. Shorter than some other residencies but 3 years is still a considerable time.